LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Matt Forte injured on reversed defensive touchdown call - NFL Videos

Jim Daopoulos on week 12.

Mike Pereira on week 12.

There was also an IW which took away a defensive touchdown. Tough week for the regular guys.

Steratore, Winter, and Vinovich have been great in the games that I've seen.

And R85 used the word "buttocks" on the mic.
I've never heard buttocks used as a singular noun before.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The replacements got a bad rap because everyone perceived that every call was wrong....remember the Broncos @ Falcons game early in the year? John Fox and the Bronco coaching staff were whining like babies even AFTER a replay review confirmed they had 12 on the field. They were STILL convinced the replacements were wrong....they would NEVER do that to the "regulars"....but now we know how bad the regulars have been this season!
True. And don't forget that "the worst call in the history of football" ... the horrid call that ended the lockout - that appalling thing at the GB vs Seattle game that challenged the integrity of the playoff chase this year... was actually called correctly.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:25am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
True. And don't forget that "the worst call in the history of football" ... the horrid call that ended the lockout - that appalling thing at the GB vs Seattle game that challenged the integrity of the playoff chase this year... was actually called correctly.
You can't possibly mean that the mechanics were sound, and that alone is a significant indictment.

You must mean that the outcome was correct, and I think you're in a relatively small minority in believing so.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From everything I've seen, the call was incorrect. And this play has come up a handful of times this season (obviously not in as big of a situation) and they correctly gave the ball to the play that controlled the ball first.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 09:50am.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
You can't possibly mean that the mechanics were sound, and that alone is a significant indictment.

You must mean that the outcome was correct, and I think you're in a relatively small minority in believing so.
Point taken on both. And no need to hijack the thread by rehashing or defending my position here.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:47am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
And no need to hijack the thread by rehashing or defending my position here.
That does not seem to constitute a hijack: the OP's point seems to be that the replacement officials were as good as those they replaced, and you're offering (what you take to be) evidence in favor of that point.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
That does not seem to constitute a hijack: the OP's point seems to be that the replacement officials were as good as those they replaced, and you're offering (what you take to be) evidence in favor of that point.
Hmmm...

Well, if I went there, it would become a topic about that one play, not what the OP intended (and one I believe we hashed pretty much to death when it was fresh).

Also - I would be arguing for evidence in favor of a point I disagree with generally.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:11pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Also - I would be arguing for evidence in favor of a point I disagree with generally.
Well, if you're that conflicted and distraught over the matter, then I concur it would be unproductive to go there.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I said, it's not just that they got the call wrong....THEY HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED. 7 guys on the field in stripes....and they didn't know what to do!!!!!!

I can buy the change in positioning of the Umpire to behind the line of scrimmage causes a "hole" in the sight lines (both the Bears v Vikings game AND Lions v Texans game could have used an Umpire in the "old" position to see both of these plays).....but these are "Pro's", the "best of the best", highly-paid professionals - this should NEVER happen.
I hate to be the one to break it to you: no referee is perfect. It is going to happen.

Quote:
I haven't even mentioned the Lions v Texans TD run that the officials incorrectly allowed (another complete embarassment).....
While I'm not a huge fan of letting the play run because replay can fix it, I think you're wrong here. This would have been very difficult to catch. He simply doesn't look down in the full speed replay.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:40pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
While I'm not a huge fan of letting the play run because replay can fix it, I think you're wrong here. This would have been very difficult to catch. He simply doesn't look down in the full speed replay.
Better to let it run and let replay overturn it than the other way around... Consider the reverse situation of the aformentioned TD run. Runner appears down but isn't, official blows the whistle and stops play as the runner takes off for a touchdown. Now you're screwed when the replay shows that the runner wasn't down.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Better to let it run and let replay overturn it than the other way around... Consider the reverse situation of the aformentioned TD run. Runner appears down but isn't, official blows the whistle and stops play as the runner takes off for a touchdown. Now you're screwed when the replay shows that the runner wasn't down.
There's always going to be a line between the referee being sure the player is down and not sure the player is down. It seems to me the NFL referees are waiting until they are 125% sure the player is down to blow there whistle. I'd prefer 105%. You'll sometimes be wrong at either standard but I feel like there's too many replay reversals on these.

Regardless, this particular play I have no problem with there not being a whistle.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

The play in the Auburn-Oregon BCS game a couple of years ago would have never been called properly if people listened to Twocentsworth.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's always going to be a line between the referee being sure the player is down and not sure the player is down. It seems to me the NFL referees are waiting until they are 125% sure the player is down to blow there whistle. I'd prefer 105%. You'll sometimes be wrong at either standard but I feel like there's too many replay reversals on these.

Regardless, this particular play I have no problem with there not being a whistle.
Sorry to pick, but this is a pet peeve of mine. 100% means fully and completely. You can't be 105 or 125 percent sure of something. Your point is lost in the meaninglessness.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry to pick, but this is a pet peeve of mine. 100% means fully and completely. You can't be 105 or 125 percent sure of something. Your point is lost in the meaninglessness.
And yet, I'm willing to wager you know exactly what I mean and therefore it is not lost.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And yet, I'm willing to wager you know exactly what I mean and therefore it is not lost.
Conceptually perhaps, but are you really saying that if an official is 80% sure a player was down, he should blow the whistle? If not... then no, I don't know exactly what you mean. Sure is sure. Not sure is, well, not sure. Currently the line is 100% vs anything else. Not 100% sure = don't blow the whistle... so what do you really mean?

West Houston Mike
Closed Thread