View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Can We Have The NFL Replacements Back, Please?

Never thought I would say/type that Thread Title.....

I am tired of seeing the "regular" NFL officials simply have no clue and make "no call" during plays in various games this season. It's not that they make the wrong call (which is happening often)....IT'S THAT THEY MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO CALL AT ALL...and wait for a replay review later.

Case in point: Bears v Vikings (11/25); RB Matt Forte runs off left tackle & is tackled by several defenders in a pile of players. After a second or two of delay, a Vikings defender picks up the ball and runs towards the end zone. NONE of the officials had a whistle OR a clue as to what happened. NONE of the officials ran/followed the defender to the end zone (a Side Judge actually ran toward and past the pile of players w/ his hands out as if to say - "what just happened?") It took Referee Scott Green approx. :20 to finally turn on his mic. to declare "Touchdown". As everyone was milling around prior to the PAT, he then said "Replay confirms the call on the field - Touchdown". After that a officiating supervisor on the sideline got the attention of the Linesman who killed the PAT and got Green's attention....then Green said: "The previous play is under review".

OF COURSE they reversed it because the RB was clearly down by contact. (ALL 22 PLAYERS stop their actions because they knew he was down). What a complete disaster that play and crew was (the crew also missed a clear "helmet-to-helmet, left his feet to launch himself" block by DT Jared Allen on an INT).

I haven't even mentioned the Lions v Texans TD run that the officials incorrectly allowed (another complete embarassment).....

I haven't even mention the approx. 1:15 of game time that a crew allowed to run off the clock while conducting a 1st down measurement during the 49ers v Rams game.....

I haven't even mentioned Tony Corrente cursing over an open mic. during a Colts game......

The regulars are only marginally better than the replacements at SIGNIFICANTLY more cost....

This may be the first time in NFL history that, based on per game officials grading system, some replacement officials will work the Super Bowl because they graded out higher than the "regulars". No wonder why the NFL Officials Union DIDN'T want a reserve officials staff available to replace under-performing "regulars".