Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
And yet, I'm willing to wager you know exactly what I mean and therefore it is not lost.
I agree 110%.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Conceptually perhaps, but are you really saying that if an official is 80% sure a player was down, he should blow the whistle? If not... then no, I don't know exactly what you mean. Sure is sure. Not sure is, well, not sure. Currently the line is 100% vs anything else. Not 100% sure = don't blow the whistle... so what do you really mean?
Well, sure isn't sure. I can be pretty sure, sure or even absolute sure. Each is a different level of certainty. I use pretty sure all the time at work when I'm asked for a number I don't have on me.

But, let me give you what I mean in another way. It seems to me that the NFL has instructed the referees not to whistle a play which is subject to automatic review even if they are sure the runner is down unless it will be obvious to the fan in the last row that the runner is down. We just don't see plays whistled were a referee is in position to be sure when it involves turnovers. I think a better standard would be based on what's obvious to a fan in the first row.

Too many seemingly easy calls are getting passed to the automatic review.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Better to let it run and let replay overturn it than the other way around... Consider the reverse situation of the aformentioned TD run. Runner appears down but isn't, official blows the whistle and stops play as the runner takes off for a touchdown. Now you're screwed when the replay shows that the runner wasn't down.
Isn't it amazing how many of these plays, which are allowed to continue to conclusion, turn into to touchdowns? Do you know why that is? BECAUSE ALL OF THE PLAYERS ON THE FIELD KNOW WHAT HAPPENED - they simply stop playi g...The 7 officials working the game don't know that they play was over!!!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The play in the Auburn-Oregon BCS game a couple of years ago would have never been called properly if people listened to Twocentsworth.

Peace
Sitting on my couch thousands of miles away, even I could see that this play was called correctly.

Today's NFL officials seem to be following the rules from 60 yrs ago where you had to tackle the guy & lay on him for 3 seconds before was considered down.

Just wait Jeff...we'll ha e plenty more of these embarrassments by the NFL officials. Can't wait for the playoffs - they'll screw up a game For sure!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Just wait Jeff...we'll ha e plenty more of these embarrassments by the NFL officials. Can't wait for the playoffs - they'll screw up a game For sure!
Well folks, that's a wrap. Twoscents said it was so, and thus it will be.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe we should just close this insipid thread....
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

And that's enough of that.