The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 01:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Philosophy of not flagging something when it wouldn't otherwise matter

Usually involves PI.

Play: Team A is guilty of OPI, but Team B intercepts the ball anyways. Team B has a 6-yard interception return. When you, the official who passed on the OPI because B caught the ball anyways, look up at the R, he's got a RTP foul.

Discuss.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 01:43pm
Official & ***** Member

Are you fer it, or agin' it?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:04pm

The issue rarely comes up in my neck of the woods.

I was wondering what others thought where it may come up more often.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:06pm
Chain of Fools

'"oh, crap"
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Usually involves PI.

Play: Team A is guilty of OPI, but Team B intercepts the ball anyways. Team B has a 6-yard interception return. When you, the official who passed on the OPI because B caught the ball anyways,
I've had this happen...

Quote:
...look up at the R, he's got a RTP foul.
...but, not in conjuction with this.

That would suck.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I've had this happen...
What was your situation?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:24pm
I Bleed Crimson

The only time I've done something similar is near the end of a blowout game. The team behind holds, illegal shifts, motions, etc. About the only thing we don't let slide, even when the game is out of hand, is a flagrant false start and safety issues.

I've been fortunate never to have had the OPI/RTP, but I have had cases where I ignored a hold by the team that is behind only to have a facemask or DPI on B. But being a blowout....

Besides, in the OP I wouldn't worry too much in a blowout about such an occurrence. And by blowout, I mean something like < 5 minutes left in the game and a team up by 30 or more.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Usually involves PI.

Play: Team A is guilty of OPI, but Team B intercepts the ball anyways. Team B has a 6-yard interception return. When you, the official who passed on the OPI because B caught the ball anyways, look up at the R, he's got a RTP foul.

Discuss.
There is too much tape to be passing on obvious fouls like this. I have thrown a couple of flags for OPI and had the interception run back for a TD. I try to call what I see and if I can wait I will, but obvious fouls I do not pass on.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:09pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is too much tape to be passing on obvious fouls like this. I have thrown a couple of flags for OPI and had the interception run back for a TD. I try to call what I see and if I can wait I will, but obvious fouls I do not pass on.
Even in blowouts?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Even in blowouts?
I had a HS game last year. 4-man crew in a blowout. I was the R and my LJ was my college supervisor. U had no impact on this one play. HL was a guy who can be a good official, but comes up with a weird call every now and again.

Sure enough, mid-4th, losing team (by 4 or 5 TDs) marches with some momentum. Slot is held by his defender about 10-12 yards downfield - they both fall to the ground, and the runner uses the additional open space for a nice 25-yard gain. HL has holding. I didn't call it because it required stopping the clock, etc, and A would decline the B hold anyways.

HL tells me Team A holding. I said what? I said to him that B fell back while grabbing A and that it was a B hold. He says no - I have A holding. He wouldn't pick up his flag. Grrrr. Had I flagged it, I could have done more to waive off his flag.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Usually involves PI.

Discuss.
I have no such philosophy. Nor does anyone on any of the crews I've worked on. Because you will never know what might still happen or what has already happened elsewhere. There is no "it wouldn't otherwise matter".

What happens when you pass on the flag, B fumbles on the return and A scores?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
The only time I've done something similar is near the end of a blowout game. The team behind holds, illegal shifts, motions, etc. About the only thing we don't let slide, even when the game is out of hand, is a flagrant false start and safety issues.

I've been fortunate never to have had the OPI/RTP, but I have had cases where I ignored a hold by the team that is behind only to have a facemask or DPI on B. But being a blowout....

Besides, in the OP I wouldn't worry too much in a blowout about such an occurrence. And by blowout, I mean something like < 5 minutes left in the game and a team up by 30 or more.
When did this become about blowouts? The OP has nothing to do with officiating differently at the end of a blowout.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 04:13pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
When did this become about blowouts? The OP has nothing to do with officiating differently at the end of a blowout.
It wasn't specified. I qualified my "not flagging something when it wouldn't otherwise matter" to be in the cases of blowouts. I injected blowouts into the conversation.

And I would never ignore a clear flag during a game, other than a blowout situation. And I said that I wouldn't worry about the OP in a blowout.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 04:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
True, but the question didn't restrict to non-blowouts games either.

If someone has a relevant take during a blowout, I'd read that too.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Usually involves PI.

Discuss.
Considering that the RTP almost certainly happened well before the PI, and that RTP is a safety issue and PI merely a tactical one that didn't prevent the interception, I would not be disappointed in the outcome of the no-call on the latter.