Give the player a "heads up"? 4 11.11%
Let the play continue hoping the batter hits the ball elsewhere? 10 27.78%
Laugh and hope the batter hits the ball by this player? 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

A Matter of Coaching or Conscience?

As an umpire, if you see an INFIELDER with their back to the plate for whatever reason when the pitcher is beginning the delivery, what would you do?

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Oct 31, 2009 at 08:26am.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm killing it. First and foremost I'm there for the safety of the players.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I think you gotta kill it.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Youth ball ... definitely kill it. College? Probably not. Let the DC take care of it.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:36am
Ref Ump Welsch

Coed rec slow-pitch, I'll kill the ball. Same for men's very rec ball. Higher level men's ball, I'll let the teammates deal with the idiot, who probably just ended his career with that team.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I said "Kill it", but it's very much dependant on the level of play. High school age group & below - definitely kill it. Beyond that, let it go.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, let's try again.

The question is what would YOU (the umpire) do about it. Not the DC, teammates or any "idiots".

This is basically for the BU since the PU always (or should always) have control over the pitcher. You are in position, an infielder is offering direction or whatever that causes him/her to turn away from the plate and the pitcher proceeds to begin the delivery.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

I've had it happen in slow pitch. I gave the F3 a verbal heads up.

I don't think it's ever happened in a FP game I was working...but I would kill it.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Okay, let's try again.

The question is what would YOU (the umpire) do about it.
Kill the ball, no pitch. There is no rule to back that up, but it is a safety issue.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Kill it, unless it's the same player that ran the bases the wrong way; then take the player's cleats away.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Kill the ball, no pitch. There is no rule to back that up, but it is a safety issue.
As a matter of rule, the umpire is authorized to stop play any time he judges conditions justify it; ASA 10.4-A. And the prohibition to stop play after the pitcher starts delivery only applies if the offense requests it. So the rules do support your authority to make that judgment.

I think we are all more or less knowing that killing it takes away a possible advantage that the offense has, one given them by the (stupid) defense. At a championship level (and certainly including high level NCAA play), I think we have to let it play out. While safety is a concern, we aren't supposed to affect the competitive edge legally gained. Our function is to keep it legal, keep it fair; the NCAA rule book lists umpire duties a thru o; only letter o even suggests our concern for player safety, and even limits that to allowing additional warmup time after an injury or inclement weather conditions. The Umpire Code of Conduct doesn't mention safety at all, instead reiterating fair and unbiased as the basis for all decisions.

I can only suggest that, if you decide to kill that play at that level, you state something about YOU not being ready, or that sweat dripped in your eyes. If you willingly state you stopped play in NCAA to protect the clueless team when the other team had an advantage, you will wear that offended coach like a new set of underwear, until you likely have to warn or eject.

At rec levels, it is more accepted to consider player safety. And, I would, too. At the same time, it isn't stated in the ASA rules, Rule Supplements, Umpire Code of Ethics, nor Umpire Manual that game decisions should or could be based on safety considerations (at least, not that I can find!!). I could be wrong, but show me any rule or direction in those documents that tell us to consider anything beyond "fair and unbiased" in making judgments.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Its interesting that many of you state that you would kill the play in the interest of safety, but seem to be more likey to kill at lowere levels (where chance of injury is less) than at higher levels (where chance of injury is greater)

Just an observation.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

YSF 38.6 has simple ruling: off with the infidel's left hand. That'll teach 'em!
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 08:39am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Its interesting that many of you state that you would kill the play in the interest of safety, but seem to be more likey to kill at lowere levels (where chance of injury is less) than at higher levels (where chance of injury is greater)

Just an observation.
A good observation at that. I would kill it no matter which level (despite my earlier remarks), but anyone who is stupid enough to do it at a higher level shouldn't be playing at that level. That was the point I was trying to make.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Kind of sounds like coaching, what's next telling the batters to back off the plate becaus this pither throws inside a lot? But it also sounds like situational awareness, the fielder may only be looking for the position of the out fielders. I really think we would be overstepping to kill the play based upon the fielders not paying attention. Now if the fielder was engaged in some kind of activity, such as tying their shoes, that would be different. No I say you just got to let it play out. that's what I would do -- that's what I have done.