The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Philosophy of not flagging something when it wouldn't otherwise matter (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92874-philosophy-not-flagging-something-when-wouldnt-otherwise-matter.html)

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 08, 2012 01:06pm

Philosophy of not flagging something when it wouldn't otherwise matter

Usually involves PI.

Play: Team A is guilty of OPI, but Team B intercepts the ball anyways. Team B has a 6-yard interception return. When you, the official who passed on the OPI because B caught the ball anyways, look up at the R, he's got a RTP foul.

Discuss.

CT1 Thu Nov 08, 2012 01:43pm

Are you fer it, or agin' it?

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:04pm

The issue rarely comes up in my neck of the woods.

I was wondering what others thought where it may come up more often.

HLin NC Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:06pm

'"oh, crap"

DLH17 Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 861401)
Usually involves PI.

Play: Team A is guilty of OPI, but Team B intercepts the ball anyways. Team B has a 6-yard interception return. When you, the official who passed on the OPI because B caught the ball anyways,

I've had this happen...

Quote:

...look up at the R, he's got a RTP foul.

...but, not in conjuction with this.

That would suck.

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 861410)
I've had this happen...

What was your situation?

Suudy Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:24pm

The only time I've done something similar is near the end of a blowout game. The team behind holds, illegal shifts, motions, etc. About the only thing we don't let slide, even when the game is out of hand, is a flagrant false start and safety issues.

I've been fortunate never to have had the OPI/RTP, but I have had cases where I ignored a hold by the team that is behind only to have a facemask or DPI on B. But being a blowout....

Besides, in the OP I wouldn't worry too much in a blowout about such an occurrence. And by blowout, I mean something like < 5 minutes left in the game and a team up by 30 or more.

JRutledge Thu Nov 08, 2012 03:08pm

Quote:

Usually involves PI.

Play: Team A is guilty of OPI, but Team B intercepts the ball anyways. Team B has a 6-yard interception return. When you, the official who passed on the OPI because B caught the ball anyways, look up at the R, he's got a RTP foul.

Discuss.

There is too much tape to be passing on obvious fouls like this. I have thrown a couple of flags for OPI and had the interception run back for a TD. I try to call what I see and if I can wait I will, but obvious fouls I do not pass on.

Peace

Suudy Thu Nov 08, 2012 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 861434)
There is too much tape to be passing on obvious fouls like this. I have thrown a couple of flags for OPI and had the interception run back for a TD. I try to call what I see and if I can wait I will, but obvious fouls I do not pass on.

Even in blowouts?

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 08, 2012 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 861435)
Even in blowouts?

I had a HS game last year. 4-man crew in a blowout. I was the R and my LJ was my college supervisor. U had no impact on this one play. HL was a guy who can be a good official, but comes up with a weird call every now and again.

Sure enough, mid-4th, losing team (by 4 or 5 TDs) marches with some momentum. Slot is held by his defender about 10-12 yards downfield - they both fall to the ground, and the runner uses the additional open space for a nice 25-yard gain. HL has holding. I didn't call it because it required stopping the clock, etc, and A would decline the B hold anyways.

HL tells me Team A holding. I said what? I said to him that B fell back while grabbing A and that it was a B hold. He says no - I have A holding. He wouldn't pick up his flag. Grrrr. Had I flagged it, I could have done more to waive off his flag.

MD Longhorn Thu Nov 08, 2012 03:46pm

Quote:

Usually involves PI.

Discuss.

I have no such philosophy. Nor does anyone on any of the crews I've worked on. Because you will never know what might still happen or what has already happened elsewhere. There is no "it wouldn't otherwise matter".

What happens when you pass on the flag, B fumbles on the return and A scores?

MD Longhorn Thu Nov 08, 2012 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 861416)
The only time I've done something similar is near the end of a blowout game. The team behind holds, illegal shifts, motions, etc. About the only thing we don't let slide, even when the game is out of hand, is a flagrant false start and safety issues.

I've been fortunate never to have had the OPI/RTP, but I have had cases where I ignored a hold by the team that is behind only to have a facemask or DPI on B. But being a blowout....

Besides, in the OP I wouldn't worry too much in a blowout about such an occurrence. And by blowout, I mean something like < 5 minutes left in the game and a team up by 30 or more.

When did this become about blowouts? The OP has nothing to do with officiating differently at the end of a blowout.

Suudy Thu Nov 08, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 861447)
When did this become about blowouts? The OP has nothing to do with officiating differently at the end of a blowout.

It wasn't specified. I qualified my "not flagging something when it wouldn't otherwise matter" to be in the cases of blowouts. I injected blowouts into the conversation.

And I would never ignore a clear flag during a game, other than a blowout situation. And I said that I wouldn't worry about the OP in a blowout.

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 08, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 861447)

True, but the question didn't restrict to non-blowouts games either.

If someone has a relevant take during a blowout, I'd read that too.

Robert Goodman Thu Nov 08, 2012 07:30pm

Quote:

Usually involves PI.

Discuss.

Considering that the RTP almost certainly happened well before the PI, and that RTP is a safety issue and PI merely a tactical one that didn't prevent the interception, I would not be disappointed in the outcome of the no-call on the latter.