The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Forward or Backward

NFL, NCAA, NFHS rulings on:

1) QB throws the ball from his own 20 yard line. The initial direction of the ball is clearly forward, however, wind pushes it backward so that it lands on the 17 yard line. Incomplete? Or fumble?

2) QB on his own 20 yard line attempts a pitch to his RB. The initial direction of the ball is clearly backward, however, wind pushes it forward so that it lands untouched at the 22 yard line. Incomplete? Or Fumble?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 09:28am
Archaic Power Monger

NCAA:

1) Backward pass.
2) Forward pass.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

NFL:
1. Forward pass and incomplete
2. Forward pass and incomplete

A pass is forward if the ball initially moves forward out of the passer's hand or if the ball strikes the ground, official, or player, or anything else at a point closer to the opponent's goal line then the point where it was released.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Nov 06, 2012 at 09:41am.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 09:48am
Medium Kahuna

NFHS:

1. Forward pass and incomplete.

2. Backward pass, ball remains live.

A pass is forward or backward depending on its initial direction. 2-31-2, 2-31-5
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 12:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Now that all codes were answered, I'll give my ruling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
1) QB throws the ball from his own 20 yard line. The initial direction of the ball is clearly forward, however, wind pushes it backward so that it lands on the 17 yard line. Incomplete? Or fumble?

2) QB on his own 20 yard line attempts a pitch to his RB. The initial direction of the ball is clearly backward, however, wind pushes it forward so that it lands untouched at the 22 yard line. Incomplete? Or Fumble?
CANADIAN RULING:

1) Backwards pass because point of termination of pass (hitting the ground) is behind the point of origin of pass (passer release). Live ball.

2) Incomplete pass because point of termination of pass (hitting the ground) is beyond the point of origin of pass (passer release). Dead ball.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Now that all codes were answered, I'll give my ruling:

CANADIAN RULING:

1) Backwards pass because point of termination of pass (hitting the ground) is behind the point of origin of pass (passer release). Live ball.
So then would a forward pass by A that's batted by a B lineman toward A's endline be a backward pass if it hits the ground behind where A threw it from? I can only picture this in a quick slant pass or something similar where A is close to the LOS.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
So then would a forward pass by A that's batted by a B lineman toward A's endline be a backward pass if it hits the ground behind where A threw it from? I can only picture this in a quick slant pass or something similar where A is close to the LOS.
No... (in any ruleset) the end of the pass in your case is where it was batted, wrt the rule we're talking about.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 01:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
No, because the other way to determine the direction of a pass (forward or backward) is the first of (i) where it is first touched or (ii) where it first hits the ground.

In the OP, the ball was untouched before it hit the ground, so where it first hits the ground is the only element to use to determine the direction of pass.

In your example, the first touching removes the ground as the element to use.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Welpe for his NCAA answer. One thing to point out is that a backwards pass IS NOT a fumble. Both of these play situations involve an intentional act. A fumble is not an intentional act. It's very important to understand the difference between a fumble and a backwards pass because there are other rules that come into play depending on what you actually have. ie, 4th down fumble rules, fumble that goes forward and out of bounds comes back to the spot of the fumble. Neither of those two would apply to a backwards pass.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:06am
In Time Out

1) You might see that happen if the QB throws the ball very high in the air.

2) Only likely to happen if you play in a wind tunnel.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
1) You might see that happen if the QB throws the ball very high in the air.

2) Only likely to happen if you play in a wind tunnel.
Actually these occurrences are more common than you think. It's not so much about balls high in the air, but passes thrown a long way sideways crossing a moderate wind, where without the wind the direction would be almost exactly along a yard line.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Robert is right, Steven. Envision a long cross-field pass (forward or backward) like you see on a kickoff return trick play or a quick-pass to a WR (or perhaps one of the many laterals in a end-of-game Stanford play.

West Houston Mike