The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Backward Pass...or not.

2nd and 10 at A's 20. QB A1 takes snap and is in the process of being tackled by B 90 who has him by the shirt approximately 5 yards behind the LOS. A-1 attempts to dump the ball off to A 2 in near the line of scrimmage. At the same time B-90 swings A 1 around and the pass goes clearly backward where B-10 jumps on it at the A 10. NFHS...NCAA?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:59pm
Official & ***** Member

NFHS: This is a backwards pass, since its initial direction was not toward the opponent's end line. B's ball, 1st & (ten or goal) at the A-10.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: sounds like a backward pass. It was thrown with its initial direction parallel to or toward the runner's end line.

1/10 for B at the +10YL.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I can swear that I recently read (Reddings I think) that said in this situation blow dead as incomplete pass. The point is that the backwards throw was caused by the contact from B. Does this sound familiar. Based on my recent posts, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
I can swear that I recently read (Reddings I think) that said in this situation blow dead as incomplete pass. The point is that the backwards throw was caused by the contact from B. Does this sound familiar. Based on my recent posts, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
For NFHS? I don't see anything that references where the passer meant to throw it.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding
It is also a forward pass if a defensive player contacts the ball or the passer after forward movement of the passer's arm has begun, regardless of which direction the ball actually goes (2-31-2 Nt). Once the passer starts his arm forward, it is a forward pass regardless of which direction the ball leaves his hand or where the ball lands. The passer receives the benefit of the doubt as to whether the ball is thrown or fumbled. When in question, rule it a forward pass, and not a fumble.
In other words, in the OP was the arm coming forward when B-90 swung him around?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
[Quote = Redding]It is also a forward pass if a defensive player contacts the ball or the passer after forward movement of the passer's arm has begun, regardless of which direction the ball actually goes (2-31-2 Nt). Once the passer starts his arm forward, it is a forward pass regardless of which direction the ball leaves his hand or where the ball lands. The passer receives the benefit of the doubt as to whether the ball is thrown or fumbled. When in question, rule it a forward pass, and not a fumble.
Wow. That directly contradicts the rule, which specifically bases the direction of the pass on the direction of the thrown ball, not on the direction the arm was moving when the throw started.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Wow. That directly contradicts the rule, which specifically bases the direction of the pass on the direction of the thrown ball, not on the direction the arm was moving when the throw started.
Actually, 2-31-2 NOTE is pretty much the Redding passage, just shorter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS Rule 2-31-2 NOTE
Prior to releasing the ball on a pass, if the potential passer is contacted, and the ball is released, it is a forward pass if his arm was moving forward on contact.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:23pm
Official & ***** Member

I like Redding's philosophy from a practical standpoint. It's probably the more easily acceptible call.

On a test, I'd answer "backwards", though.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

NCAA: If the QB's arm was going forward when he was contacted, we should have an incomplete pass. I'll see if I can dig the rule reference out.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I like Redding's philosophy from a practical standpoint. It's probably the more easily acceptible call.

On a test, I'd answer "backwards", though.
I see the subtle difference between the Redding passage and the written rule -- I wonder, however, if the rules makers really intended what Redding wrote. If a passer is wrapped up and brings his arm forward and is turned around and the ball comes out backwards, I'm ruling that an incomplete pass all day long.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you consider that the pass begins at the instant his hand begins moving forward, and not the instant his hand releases the ball, the Reddings interp and the rule match.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Actually, 2-31-2 NOTE is pretty much the Redding passage, just shorter:
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Can you really say it contradicts the rule when the rules say both. How hard is this...

No contact: direction of pass determined by initial direction
Contact: direction of pass determined by movement of the arm at contact.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA, as others have stated, if the arm starts forward and the player is hit and the pass goes backwards, it IS and incomplete pass.