The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Clarification of forward and backward pass

Reading the NFL Rulebook I couldn't find anything specifically stating what is a backward pass and what is a forward pass.
Any clarification in NCAA or NF rules?

I am having some trouble defining that to the players down here in Brazil coz they allways bring up shovel pass when I tell them that a pass that doesn't cross the scrimmage is a backward pass. I'm confused... Any help?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 02:07am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
A legal forward pass is any pass in the direction of the line of scrimmage from behind the line of scrimmage. A lateral pass is any pass that is parallel to the line of scrimmage from the point at which the passer is located and is considered a backward pass for rule purposes. A backward pass is any pass that is away from the line of scrimmage from behind the line of scrimmage or towards the line of scrimmage beyond the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by w_sohl; Fri Jul 20, 2007 at 12:06am.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just to further clarify---the NF definitions for forward and backward passes are in 2-31-2 and 2-31-5. The NCAA definitions are in 2-19 2a. Note:
  1. there is a fundamental difference between the way that each code determines whether a pass is forward or backward, and
  2. in both codes, a pass parallel with the line of scrimmage (accepting each code's differences) is considered a backward pass for rule purposes.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

To begin with, ignore the line of scrimmage. That will only determine legality of forward passes. Forward passes travel forward, if even an inch or maybe it is a centimeter in Brazil, while backward passes travel backward or parallel. My way to remember is by saying, "if it isn't forward it is backward." Once I determine direction then I can decide on legality.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
Reading the NFL Rulebook I couldn't find anything specifically stating what is a backward pass and what is a forward pass.
Any clarification in NCAA or NF rules?

I am having some trouble defining that to the players down here in Brazil coz they allways bring up shovel pass when I tell them that a pass that doesn't cross the scrimmage is a backward pass. I'm confused... Any help?
There is "real" football being played in Brazil???? Any games in the Rio area from now until end of July? I'd love to check one out while I am here.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

If you are looking for the NFL rule, rule 3-21-2 states "A forward pass is a pass that intially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponents goal line) after leaving the passer's hands and before touching another player."

NFL rule 3-21-4 covers backwards pass, "A backwards pass is any pass that is not a forward pass." Supplamental note "A pass parallel to a yard line or an offensive player moving parallel to it as the snap is considered backward."
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all
Reading all this I realized that I'm making it harder than it is... I'll remember now. Forward pass is one that moves forward. How obvious could that be?
Thanks a lot
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
Thank you all
Reading all this I realized that I'm making it harder than it is... I'll remember now. Forward pass is one that moves forward. How obvious could that be?
You'd be surprised. Codes differ on whether you measure to the point where it touches anything (including the ground), to the point where it touches another player, or whether you just have to judge its initial direction (ignoring deflection by wind). They also incorporate different exceptions for balls that come loose unintentionally after a player's hand starts forward with the intention of passing.

But at least the North American football codes agree that direction is w.r.t. the field. If you look at rec.sport.rugby.union a few years ago, there the consensus was that it was to be figured relative to the passer's motion!

Robert