The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Don't say a word about it. If he brings it up, just say "Coach, you're starting to sound like my wife. Always bringing up the past". If he's married, or has a girlfriend, he'll get the message.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Fellas

Thanks fellas - I'll let ya all know how it goes Friday night!
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
My crew has a team this Friday that we had 4 weeks ago. We had to eject his star player after the game for wiping out an oponent after the final whistle blew - he blind sided him and wiped him out - cross town rival type thing.

Coach had choice remarks and just couldn't understand why we would do such a thing - he wouldn't let it go as we tried to leave the field.

Anyway - we have his team Friday
Well, it's getting close to Halloween, so wear a mask.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
NO!

If he asks, you simply tell him you're here to officiate THIS game, not rehash old ones. I would not engage in ANY conversation about the previous events.
Exactly this.

While it's good to be cognizant of behavioral trends, each game, each play, and even each action within each play, should be judged according to its own merits. If an action requires penalty, assess it and move on. There's no reason to hold animosity to a coach or team for something that happened weeks or months ago. It's that kind of thinking that begets generational anger, lifelong grudges, and a host of other unsavory behaviors.

Call a football game, and have fun doing it. And if you're not enjoying your work, you're doing it wrong.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This is great advice.
Agreed. My crew was in this same spot last year, albeit the follow-up was a level 2 playoff game after tossing a kid earlier in mid-season.

There's a very good chance this won't even come up. Odds are good it was maybe caught on film and he's had a chance to look at it and rethink his stance and the postgame comments anyway.

Chalk it up as experience when all is said and done...this won't be your last rough spot.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post
If he asks, you were only following the rules set forth and the player ejected himself from the game due to his conduct.

I've gotten to know Bill LeMonnier over the last few years and he says to announce ejections to the coach this way: "Coach, #12 has disqualified himself." It tells the story the way it actually happened and puts the responsibility on the player.