The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I need a bit of advice on how to handle the situation I'm in.

My HS association does not work in crews, so all assignments are handed out individually, including playoffs. I have worked very hard the past several years, and have become (by all accounts) among the better officials within my HS association. My association was assigned multiple playoff games in each round (8-4-2 so far) with the state finals still to be determined though like past years, I'm sure our association will get 1 of the state final games.

Despite being among the better officials in my HS group, I have not been given a playoff assignment this year (first time in 4 years). I know the numbers don't add up to being able to get every official on the field for the playoffs each year, but I was really hoping to not only get a playoff game this year, but to work the state final. I worked a number of high-profile games this season without incident, so I know my assignor trusts me to do a good job.

With no word from my assignor, and only the state final left to assign, should I contact him and ask him why I have not been assigned to any playoff games? I know every official feels they deserve the big game, and I am not one to complain about my schedule, but I've been sitting by the phone the last three weeks hoping for a call I never received. I'd hate to question his judgement, but I know that I am a better official than a number of the people that received a playoff game this year. Then again, perhaps due to me working several high-profile [regular season] games, those were considered my playoff games, and now it's someone else turn???

Should I contact my assignor, or just sit and wait another week?
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

I vote "Don't call."

At this point, calling him isn't going to accomplish anything. Whether you're on a game or not has already been decided. If you aren't on the list already, a phone call is unlikely to help.

If the assignment doesn't come, I'd wait a month ago and then pay him a visit. Talking with someone in person is preferable to a phone call. It's possible to read body language and get a better feel for what the other person is thinking. Address your concerns but don't turn it into a b!tch session. That's why it may be best to wait a month.

I would take this approach. Start positive, bring up the negative and then finish with a positive. Bring up the big games during the regular season and that you appreciate his confidence in you. After leaving that, tell him that after 4 years of receiving a playoff assignment, you were disappointed to not receive one this season. Finally, explain that your goal is to work a state final and ask him what he thinks you need to work on to achieve that goal.

Good luck! I hope you don't have to have the conversation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

I also vote don't call.

I would agree with meeting him in person also. I think you could kind of twsit it a little and ask him what you need to do to get some playoff games next year. Ask him what youneed to work on, that way its not a "b!tch session" and can be viewed as if you're asking for advice but I think you'll get the same outcome.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I got the short end of the stick this year too. I was p-oed. I vented a little, mostly to my wife and my white hat (I was replaced when our crew got a playoff game) and after a few days, I moved on and realized it was probably not my place to say anything.

I also emailed a guy I know that works college and he said to not say anything. In the long run, I think we do ourselves my benefit than harm staying quiet. It is always our first reaction to find out why we were looked past or ways we can improve. That is a natural reaction and desire and for some reason, very seldomly do we ever get hands on, practical feedback.

You mentioned that you had a playoff game the each of the last four years, correct? You also had high profile games this year during the regular season too, right? Chances are, your assigner is just trying to spread the playoff assignments around to other guys that might have been slighted last year or may have never worked a playoff game before. That's a positive way to look at it.

If you choose to talk with him about it, I would suggest waiting until after the season is complete. That way you don't appear as a whiner or a cry baby. If you ask for honest feedback on your performance this year and things to improve on in the offseason, your assigner will think more of you as an official. But if you come to him saying, "Why didn't I get a playoff game this year when these other guys did?" or something like that, that will make him defensive and possibly change his feelings about you as an official. Just MHO.

Good luck!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

All of the above is good advice. Many years ago, I got playoffgames (beyond the first round) 3 years in a row. Then, the next years only first round games. I had improved a lot as an official over those years, just as you have, and was likely one of the better officials in my area, but I still did not get the juicest games.

I decided it was probably someone elses turn, and accepted it. A few seasons later, I was able to move up the ladder and I now work football at a level that I never would have envisoned back when I got "passed up" for those big games.

So take a "big picture" view of the whole thing, and then get in touch with the assignor the way BktBallRef suggests. That's taking a creative and positive approach to the whole thing.

Good luck!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I agree that calling to complain will not help.

But I do think both you and your assignor would benefit from a "What can I do to improve and make sure I get playoff games in the future" talk. He may have some constructive criticism that helps you, and he may be privy to something you are not aware of (maybe you angered someone in power through a misunderstanding that you can clear up... who knows). But mostly, it shows the assignor that A) you are professional and not bitter at the seeming snub, B) you are motivated to improve, and C) you are interested in working these higher level games. That will stick in his mind the next time around.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for the advice. I sat back, waited for the call, the low-and-behold.... I'm working the state final next weekend.

Feel like a huge weight has been taken off of my shoulders. I would have been extremely disappointed had I not gotten a game.

Again, thank you all for the advice. Perhaps a mistimed phone call would have resulted in another outcome.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats - patience is virtue.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Good for you, Zebra29! Best wishes for a great game.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Great news, good luck with the big game!
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 12:22pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra29
Thank you all for the advice. I sat back, waited for the call, the low-and-behold.... I'm working the state final next weekend.

Feel like a huge weight has been taken off of my shoulders. I would have been extremely disappointed had I not gotten a game.

Again, thank you all for the advice. Perhaps a mistimed phone call would have resulted in another outcome.
Congrats! hope you have a great game!