The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Advice

I'm not real happy with my "smart mouth and shortness" with coaches this year. I've noticed since I decided at the start to quit taking so much s&*^ from them beginning this year - that my retorts probably don't help.

Examples from last night..

1. Called defense post foul - coach says she thinks we are calling too tight - is there no touch allowed - I respond that we are playing basketball - She then asks again - I retort same answer as above - she says "I should've known - I then say to her to be careful coach...

2. Opposite coach - still angry over a non call from my partner - wanted me to help him - I had nothing either... anyway front court ball goes oob on my sideline - he meets me where I call it out and folds arms stating loudly that now I'm willing to help him - I retort that it is my call my sideline and that he needs to not worry about our coverage areas...

3. Same coach as above - getting smoked - down by 20 or so with other teams 2nd string in and still pressing with about 1 minute to go - loudly calls a time out - stairs at me and points to the clock as I administer time out. I retort that it (the press) is not our problem...

Thoughts for an official looking to improve handling coaches who constantly chirp even when they don't have a clue
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Scenario #1 - she has had her warning, next one is a T

Scenario #2 - ignore it unless he is out of his coaching box, then either warn him (what I would do) or whack him if he is obnoxiously loud.

Scenario #3 - I would ignore it.

I have found that (1) if it is the occasional statement and I ignore it they stop since they see it isn't going to get a reaction from me or (2) a verbal wanting is sufficient. I don't like to dish out T's but will if necessary.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 03:56pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well, newer official here. I have found that only questions need responses, not questions.

That being said, coaches want to be acknowledged, even if it's "we'll look for that at both ends", or "we will watch for that."

In scenario 1, I try to use language from the rule book. "Coach that's illegal contact that hinders the opponent."

Lastly, if coaches cross the line, warn them and whack them.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

You will get much better advice than this little bit from me, but unless they ask you a question directly it's best not to get into with them. Someone in our association said "Silence can't be quoted" and I try to remember that when I'm tempted to make an off-the-cuff remark.

I'm not saying you turn into a pin-cushion, but the vast majority of coach's comments are venting steam and probably should be ignored.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

What part of MI?
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan

Tecumseh - between Ann Arbor Mi and Toledo Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
What part of MI?
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the whole "Only answer questions" comments, but IMO it doesn't really help out. It seems you are asking HOW to respond.
Again, that varies by the individual. I can get away with more flippant comments b/c that is who I am. Others, can't. FWIW, I would try to develop 'Stock" phrases to use. Those are very good to use, especially if you can use language of art. For instance:

They can Hot Stove, but that is it.
The player was/wasn't legal
You may be right, we'll talk about it
My partner had a better look at that play than either of us.
My partner obviously saw something you/we didn't see.
I had the same call
THe player did/didn't displace them.
and my favorite -
Coach if you talk to me we can have a conversation. But if you keep yelling at me I am going to treat you like I treat my wife when she yells at me. I ignore her.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
I'm not real happy with my "smart mouth and shortness" with coaches this year. I've noticed since I decided at the start to quit taking so much s&*^ from them beginning this year - that my retorts probably don't help.

1. Called defense post foul - coach says she thinks we are calling too tight - is there no touch allowed - I respond that we are playing basketball - She then asks again - I retort same answer as above - she says "I should've known - I then say to her to be careful coach...

2. Opposite coach - still angry over a non call from my partner - wanted me to help him - I had nothing either... anyway front court ball goes oob on my sideline - he meets me where I call it out and folds arms stating loudly that now I'm willing to help him - I retort that it is my call my sideline and that he needs to not worry about our coverage areas...

3. Same coach as above - getting smoked - down by 20 or so with other teams 2nd string in and still pressing with about 1 minute to go - loudly calls a time out - stairs at me and points to the clock as I administer time out. I retort that it (the press) is not our problem...

Thoughts for an official looking to improve handling coaches who constantly chirp even when they don't have a clue
Note, these are my thoughts on how I would handle this:

#1. A coach isn't going to get an answer from me just because she's playing jeopardy.

#2. The way I read this, it's a T.

#3. I'm walking away from this one.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

I heard this from a more experienced (than myself) official yesterday as we were driving to our assignment:

"Coach, if you are talking all the time then I never know when to listen to you" I liked that one for the coach that never shuts up.

Although usually I just respond in Japanese: Coach, watakushi wa anata no kutsu o hakudarou
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Snaq

Probably should have Td Snaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

#1. A coach isn't going to get an answer from me just because she's playing jeopardy.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
I heard this from a more experienced (than myself) official yesterday as we were driving to our assignment:

"Coach, if you are talking all the time then I never know when to listen to you" I liked that one for the coach that never shuts up.

Although usually I just respond in Japanese: Coach, watakushi wa anata no kutsu o hakudarou
Hey watch your language! Or else I may have to find the Hebrew and Arabic funtions on my keyboard!!!
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Hey watch your language! Or else I may have to find the Hebrew and Arabic funtions on my keyboard!!!
...or at least find the "c" more consistently...
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 01:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post

1. I bet the coach asked the same question and expected a different answer. Silly coach. I likely would have ignored the "...should've..." comment.

2. Good response in my opinion.

3. He's pissed and simply wants to vent some anger before he talks to his player and before he leaves the gym. I prefer general comments like "I'm just here to referee, coach" or, just "not my problem".
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 01:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Re #2: I actually educated a coach once who thought the ref that blows the whistle for OB isn't by sideline, but by which official was watching the paired matchup that caused the ball to go OB.

So, in the case of the ball up top, the T has the patchup. If B knocks the ball to L's sideline, we know that the L takes the call. He thought that because the T had the matchup, that the T takes the OB call.

His thinking caught me off-guard, and also reminded me that they don't know about our mechanics, etc. But his logic was sound/reasonable for someone who didn't pay attention much to mechanics.

If I can, I'll avoid a T if it's reasonable that the coach doesn't know our mechanics. Then, get the ball inbounds quickly...
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
...or at least find the "c" more consistently...
He must work 2-person. Finding the "C" is not something he normally has to do.