The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Advice (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92664-advice.html)

Refsmitty Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19pm

Advice

My crew has a team this Friday that we had 4 weeks ago. We had to eject his star player after the game for wiping out an oponent after the final whistle blew - he blind sided him and wiped him out - cross town rival type thing.

Coach had choice remarks and just couldn't understand why we would do such a thing - he wouldn't let it go as we tried to leave the field.

Anyway - we have his team Friday - he needs one win to get into the state playoffs - I have his sideline as the Linesman. I am trying to tell myself to handle it just like nothing happened - but I am looking for any advice as to how to handle him. Anyone been there before?

JRutledge Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24pm

Go out and do your job and do not mention anything about what previously took place. And if the coach says something to you, "That was then this is now coach."

In my experience the second game is easier because they know what they are getting and know what they cannot get away with because you have not allowed them to do certain things.

I really would not worry about it, just do your job and in your pre-game talk about if anything could be handled differently to avoid those problems. But I would do that if I was not on a game and was told about a previous incident.

Peace

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:36pm

Coach, I've done 42 games since then - I didn't even know that was you guys until you brought it up.

Welpe Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 858407)
Go out and do your job and do not mention anything about what previously took place. And if the coach says something to you, "That was then this is now coach."

In my experience the second game is easier because they know what they are getting and know what they cannot get away with because you have not allowed them to do certain things.

I really would not worry about it, just do your job and in your pre-game talk about if anything could be handled differently to avoid those problems. But I would do that if I was not on a game and was told about a previous incident.

Peace

This is great advice.

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858411)
Coach, I've done 42 games since then - I didn't even know that was you guys until you brought it up.

I've used this approach before. The coach pretty much shut up. lol

HLin NC Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:25pm

It can be difficult. First game of this season, my sideline's coach brought up something from two years ago when things started going south for his team.

You certainly don't want to be the one to broach the subject but I agree with Jeff; that was then, this is now. If he's not over it, it's his problem.
You have to try and be the adult and a professional.

Texas Aggie Mon Oct 15, 2012 02:37pm

I think if you just respond to questions and not comments, you'll be fine.

Sonofanump Mon Oct 15, 2012 02:58pm

If he asks, you were only following the rules set forth and the player ejected himself from the game due to his conduct.

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 15, 2012 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump (Post 858448)
If he asks, you were only following the rules set forth and the player ejected himself from the game due to his conduct.

NO!

If he asks, you simply tell him you're here to officiate THIS game, not rehash old ones. I would not engage in ANY conversation about the previous events.

legend Mon Oct 15, 2012 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858456)
NO!

If he asks, you simply tell him you're here to officiate THIS game, not rehash old ones. I would not engage in ANY conversation about the previous events.

I agree here 100 %! Let the past stay there. If he brings it up find something professional to respond with, preferably along the lines of the current game or something like that. A short memory is often a good thing. You could even say that you've do so many games since that assignment that you really don't remember what happened and just move on.
Good luck, hope all goes well.

JRutledge Mon Oct 15, 2012 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858456)
NO!

Totally agree.

"Coach, I do not do history." Then walk away or move on in the conversation.

Peace

bob jenkins Mon Oct 15, 2012 04:18pm

Coach, if you want to continue to have this conversation, then we'll continue it 15 yards that way. ;)

Sonofanump Mon Oct 15, 2012 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 858463)
Totally agree.

"Coach, I do not do history." Then walk away or move on in the conversation.

Peace

I like that.

legend Mon Oct 15, 2012 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 858466)
Coach, if you want to continue to have this conversation, then we'll continue it 15 yards that way.

I don't know, I think I'd be careful here. Why throw gas on the fire when you have the chance to throw water on it. I'm sure that we all would love to actually say that, but I dont think that road has a good end to it for anyone.

bob jenkins Mon Oct 15, 2012 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 858502)
I don't know, I think I'd be careful here. Why throw gas on the fire when you have the chance to throw water on it. I'm sure that we all would love to actually say that, but I dont think that road has a good end to it for anyone.

Said entirely tongue-in-cheek. SHould have added a smiley. I have now.