The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickwill View Post
thanks, just have been seeing alot of violations by ball carriers in this case, and no one seems to make the call anymore as long as the ball carrier doesn't grab the facemask
Perhaps you aren't seeing a flag for these "violations" because they aren't violations.

An open hand to the facemask is legal by the runner. Why is he allowed to do that when others aren't? Because he's the runner. You're allowed block the runner below the waist to tackle him. You're allowed to pushed the runner in the back to tackle him. You're allowed to trip the runner to tackle him. You're allowed to clip the runner to tackle him. SO the runner has to be allowed so leniency to ward off defenders who are trying to tackle him.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'll post the relevant NCAA citations but they are no different from Fed.

9-1-2

ARTICLE 2. a. No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent with the knee; strike an opponent’s helmet (including the face mask) ,
neck, face or any other part of the body with an extended forearm, elbow, locked hands, palm, fist, or the heel, back or side of the open hand;
or gouge an opponent (A.R.9-1-2-I).
This is obviously a dead letter as applies to "any other part of the body with...palm...or the heel...of the open hand". What coaches now call a "punch" -- a jab with the palm or heel of the hand against the opponent's frame, usually both hands at once -- is an accepted use of the hands in blocking. When they liberalized use of the hands, they said they weren't going to allow them to deliver a blow, but that prohibition, at least as done by extension at the elbow, i.e. a jab, has fallen by the wayside, I'm not sure just when.

Doesn't it seem odd the rule would be written as above to enumerate certain targets (helmet, neck, and face) and then add "or any other part of the body", when they could've simply written, "No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent (or opponent's helmet, including the face mask) with the knee, an extended forearm...."? Are the helmet, neck, and face special, or aren't they?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Doug Martin of Tampa Bay grabbed the defenders face mask last night during a supposed stiff arm.....it was not called. I suppose all the officials missed it. Pretty clear on TV.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickwill View Post
Doug Martin of Tampa Bay grabbed the defenders face mask last night during a supposed stiff arm.....it was not called. I suppose all the officials missed it. Pretty clear on TV.
Did he twist or turn the other players helmet? Grabbing the mask in itself is not a foul in the NFL.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

hmmm...maybe that's why it wasn't called since he just grabbed it but didn't twist or turn it etc. I need to study more on what is and isn't a legal stiffarm for a ball carrier. thanks.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Also note that they showed that replay in slow motion...which makes a lot of things look like a foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Also note that they showed that replay in slow motion...which makes a lot of things look like a foul.
That is a great point, because even in a HS game that might not have been called a foul.

BTW, do you have any video to confirm this situation?

Peace
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

good point about the slo-mo, you're right it was on the replay when I saw it too. sorry, no I don't have video of it. thanks.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is a great point, because even in a HS game that might not have been called a foul.

BTW, do you have any video to confirm this situation?

Peace
If someone could give me the time of the play, I could get it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.