The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I had a high school game many years ago where the offensive team told everyone they were taking a knee. The losing team just stood there except for one young man. He blew right through and just blasted the QB after his knee was down. We then proceeded to have to break up the brawl that ensued. I had a line judge punched by the offending player when he was trying to get him off the field.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
How are you going to make them run a play? Teams will still do something to not lose the ball and it will either be more violent or with the same result. I think people that do no officiate should not speak on what should be done on any rule.

Peace
Perhaps the Arena Football rule: after the one-minute warning (translate that to two, obviously) in the 4th quarter, if the offense has the lead and doesn't gain yardage on a play, the clock stops.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpie View Post
Perhaps the Arena Football rule: after the one-minute warning (translate that to two, obviously) in the 4th quarter, if the offense has the lead and doesn't gain yardage on a play, the clock stops.
That certainly explains how it could be done, but if we want to watch arena football, we could watch arena football.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I don't officiate football, so this is from a fan's perspective (not a fan of either of these 2 teams, just in general a fan...).

A question was posed by Mike Golic, and I think it is a fair question. I am paraphrasing the situation/question.

If the offense gets to go into "victory" formation, and the defense is supposed to honor that to avoid injury, etc., why can't the defense do the same thing? For example, 5 seconds remain, defense is ahead by 7, offense has 4th and 20 from their own 25. The chances of any "hail Mary" pass play working is exceedingly slim. Why can't the defense go into its "victory" formation, inform the offense they are not going to rush the passer, and now the offense is obligated by "unwritten rule" to just quit?

Golic further made the point that the injury argument is hollow, since it was obvious when the defense lined up they are coming. If the offense chose to ignore that, and not line up to protect themselves and their QB, any injury was their own fault.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:30pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Why can't the defense go into its "victory" formation, inform the offense they are not going to rush the passer, and now the offense is obligated by "unwritten rule" to just quit?
Golic needs to stick to radio and not try to use his brain so much. That's the dumbest analogy I've heard in quite a while. It never occurred to this football genius that the offense and defense are different because the offense has possession of the ball?
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 03:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Golic needs to stick to radio and not try to use his brain so much. That's the dumbest analogy I've heard in quite a while. It never occurred to this football genius that the offense and defense are different because the offense has possession of the ball?
Actually that was Golic's major point...just because they have possession of the ball does not mean they get to dictate to the defense - by dint of "unwrtieen rule" - that the game is over. If so, then there should be a related "unwritten rule" that allows the defense to dictate to the offense "Hey, this game is in the bag so we are going to just wrap it up now - don't try to run a play or anything."
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You missed his point.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 05:45pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Actually that was Golic's major point...just because they have possession of the ball does not mean they get to dictate to the defense - by dint of "unwrtieen rule" - that the game is over.
First, it's unwritten rule that the offense but not the defense gets to do this. Golic doesn't get to invent his own unwritten rules, even if he doesn't like the ones that exist.

Unwritten rules exist at the pleasure of the players: if enough players abandon this one, it will go away. :shrug:

And yes, the offense gets to decide whether to take a knee, because they control the ball and the clock. The defense can stop the clock only with a time out. That's not dictating anything to the defense, it's clock management. The defense can't do the same.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 06:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
First, it's unwritten rule that the offense but not the defense gets to do this. Golic doesn't get to invent his own unwritten rules, even if he doesn't like the ones that exist.

Unwritten rules exist at the pleasure of the players: if enough players abandon this one, it will go away. :shrug:

And yes, the offense gets to decide whether to take a knee, because they control the ball and the clock. The defense can stop the clock only with a time out. That's not dictating anything to the defense, it's clock management. The defense can't do the same.
Gosh, thanks so much for that explanation. You really cleared things up for Golic.

Oh wait...maybe you should send that explanation to him directly...