The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I have to agree with Robert for once. It seems rather silly that a foul like this would be enforced from the kickoff. Unsportsmanlike stuff, absolutely... but pass interference, or worse, lesser fouls - doesn't make sense.

But I agree that it's not likely to go away any time soon.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Honestly, I have to agree with Robert for once. It seems rather silly that a foul like this would be enforced from the kickoff. Unsportsmanlike stuff, absolutely... but pass interference, or worse, lesser fouls - doesn't make sense.

But I agree that it's not likely to go away any time soon.
I agree as well. But nobody is really advocating for a change. Except Robert.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently it was just changed, so I think it's in play. If it'd been in its current form for years, then I wouldn't consider it so likely to be revised again soon, but they must be looking at it.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 04:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Apparently it was just changed, so I think it's in play. If it'd been in its current form for years, then I wouldn't consider it so likely to be revised again soon, but they must be looking at it.
It was a 2003 rule change that allowed the penalty to be taken on the try. It was a 2007 change that allowed the penalty to be taken on the try OR the ensuing kickoff. So it's the 10th year that all fouls carry over and the 6th where it can be carried over to the kickoff.

(BTW, the illegal block in the back 10 yard foul didn't hit NFHS football until 2002 and yet it feels like it's always been there after 11 years.)
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 05:37pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
but they must be looking at it.
They who?

I know of no movement to change a rule back to what it was. The Fed may cobble a rule together, make a horrible definition, bungle the case play, resurrect dead case plays and then have to rescind it, and refine a rule two or three times. I can't recall them ever going "ah screw it, we take it all back to 2001."
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
They who?

I know of no movement to change a rule back to what it was. The Fed may cobble a rule together, make a horrible definition, bungle the case play, resurrect dead case plays and then have to rescind it, and refine a rule two or three times. I can't recall them ever going "ah screw it, we take it all back to 2001."
Although I would love to see the Fed rescind the newest 5 man kick-off mechanics...but that's another thread.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:13pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Although I would love to see the Fed rescind the newest 5 man kick-off mechanics...but that's another thread.
+1

Can I get an amen?