The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Free Kick Play

NFHS Rules.

During a kickoff, K1 is forced out of bounds by R1 at the 50. While still out of bounds and attempting to re-enter the field of play, K1 is contacted by R2 at the R45. After the contact, K1 stays out of bounds and re-enters the playing field at the R30. What do you have?

Thanks!

Scott
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex View Post
NFHS Rules.

During a kickoff, K1 is forced out of bounds by R1 at the 50.
No problem ... K1 was blocked/forced out

Quote:
While still out of bounds and attempting to re-enter the field of play, K1 is contacted by R2 at the R45.
Still no problem on K, he is attempting to re-enter at his first opportunity. Play does not state that R went out of bounds to block K, so no foul on R

Quote:
After the contact, K1 stays out of bounds and re-enters the playing field at the R30.
Oops, from the R45 to the R30 and the play states "K1 stays OB". That does not sound like first opportunity ... Illegal Participation on K1 when he returns inbounds at the R30.

Enforcement depends of the status of the ball when K1 returned inbounds (9-6-1).
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
Enforcement depends of the status of the ball when K1 returned inbounds (9-6-1).
I believe you're saying that enforcement will depend on whether the foul occurs before or after R gains possession (whether the kick has ended). The basic spot will be the previous spot for the former (loose ball play), or the end of the run for the latter (running play).

But I would add that whether you have a foul also depends on a different status of the ball when K1 returned to the field. If the ball was dead, he couldn't have participated.

It's also worth remembering that, although the spot of the foul in this case is where K1 re-entered the field, the foul is for participating, not merely re-entering.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just some clarification...

R2 did contact K1 out of bounds, before he could return.

When K1 did return to the field of play, R3 had possession of the ball and the play was still live.

The reason I am asking is that I had this play happen to me and I am wondering if I got it right.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just some clarification...

R2 did contact K1 out of bounds, before he could return.

When K1 did return to the field of play, R3 had possession of the ball and the play was still live.

The reason I am asking is that I had this play happen to me and I am wondering if I got it right.
What did K1 do after returning to the field? Where was R2 when the contact occurred?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
What did K1 do after returning to the field? Where was R2 when the contact occurred?
K1 came back into the field of play, but really didn't have an impact on the play.

R2 was a step out of bounds and K1 was fully out of bounds when the contact occurred.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
K1 came back into the field of play, but really didn't have an impact on the play.

R2 was a step out of bounds and K1 was fully out of bounds when the contact occurred.
I've got 15 on R, nothing on K.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I've got 15 on R, nothing on K.
Under NFHS? For what? No rule -- or at least no provision of 9-4 -- prohibits R from blocking K in this case.

Indeed, if you're going to flag R here, you MUST flag K, since K is clearly participating by occupying a blocker!

And, as a game management issue: if K1 has run 15 yds downfield and OOB in order to get in on this play, I'm not flagging R for a hit that's 6 inches OOB and getting K off the hook for IP.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Careful here. If you mean he didn't tackle the runner, then there's more to "have an impact" than you're thinking.

If the K player occupies a blocker, then his illegal act has affected the play and gained K an advantage. That's illegal participation, and it needs to be flagged.

I get that many people don't like the NFHS rule here, but that's a separate issue.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Careful here. If you mean he didn't tackle the runner, then there's more to "have an impact" than you're thinking.

If the K player occupies a blocker, then his illegal act has affected the play and gained K an advantage. That's illegal participation, and it needs to be flagged.

I get that many people don't like the NFHS rule here, but that's a separate issue.
Fair enough...to further clarify, R3 was tackled on the other side of the field away from K1. K1 did participate by re-entering the field.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Under NFHS? For what? No rule -- or at least no provision of 9-4 -- prohibits R from blocking K in this case.

Indeed, if you're going to flag R here, you MUST flag K, since K is clearly participating by occupying a blocker!

And, as a game management issue: if K1 has run 15 yds downfield and OOB in order to get in on this play, I'm not flagging R for a hit that's 6 inches OOB and getting K off the hook for IP.
This is part of what I am looking at. K was clearly out of bounds in the restricted area. When R2 made the block, he took a step into the restricted area and contacted K1. Does this justify a personal foul? Trying to find a good reference to support it.

As far as K1 goes, he ran right through the restricted area until he got to the R30 and then re-entered the playing field. He did not run through the bench area at all. To be honest, I don't believe K1 or R2 knew where the heck they were on the field.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is part of what I am looking at. K was clearly out of bounds in the restricted area. When R2 made the block, he took a step into the restricted area and contacted K1. Does this justify a personal foul? Trying to find a good reference to support it.
No, it is not a PF. It is Illegal Participation
9-6-2 ... No player shall intentionally go out of bounds during the down and:
a. Return to the field;
b. Intentionally touch the ball;
c. Influence the play; or
d. Otherwise participate.

Quote:
As far as K1 goes, he ran right through the restricted area until he got to the R30 and then re-entered the playing field. He did not run through the bench area at all. To be honest, I don't believe K1 or R2 knew where the heck they were on the field.
It does not matter if K1 made the tackle, chased the runner or was blocked by anyone. When K1 returned inbounds, he was guilty of Illegal Participation at the R30 because he did not "return at the first opportunity" (he ran 15 yards out of bounds).
9-6-1 . . . Prior to a change of possession, or when there is no change of possession, no player of A or K shall go out of bounds and return to the field during the down unless blocked out of bounds by an opponent. If a player is blocked out of bounds by an opponent and returns to the field during the down, he shall return at the first opportunity.

Double Foul, offset and replay the down.

Last edited by ump33; Tue Jul 31, 2012 at 08:05am.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
No, it is not a PF. It is Illegal Participation
9-6-2 ... No player shall intentionally go out of bounds during the down and:
a. Return to the field;
b. Intentionally touch the ball;
c. Influence the play; or
d. Otherwise participate.

It does not matter if K1 made the tackle, chased the runner or was blocked by anyone. When K1 returned inbounds, he was guilty of Illegal Participation at the R30 because he did not "return at the first opportunity" (he ran 15 yards ont of bounds).
9-6-1 . . . Prior to a change of possession, or when there is no change of possession, no player of A or K shall go out of bounds and return to the field during the down unless blocked out of bounds by an opponent. If a player is blocked out of bounds by an opponent and returns to the field during the down, he shall return at the first opportunity.

Double Foul, offset and replay the down.
This was how I called it, but I had a PF on R2 and IP on K1 and we re-kicked. Thanks for the rule reference. I guess it should have been IP on both R2 and K1. I appreciate the discussion!

Scott
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 09:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
During a kickoff, K1 is forced out of bounds by R1 at the 50. While still out of bounds and attempting to re-enter the field of play, K1 is contacted by R2 at the R45. After the contact, K1 stays out of bounds and re-enters the playing field at the R30. What do you have?
Quote:

CANADIAN RULING:

No initial foul on K1 because he was blocked to out of bounds.

It sounds as though R2 was out of bounds illegally who then participated. Flag for Illegal Participation.

If K1 used the out of bounds area to his advantage, then I have Illegal Participation on him as well.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What? At this point, K is doing what he's allowed to do - trying to return to the field immediately after being blocked out of bounds. How in the world can K be flagged at this point in the play?

I see your point later in the play - after running 15 yards out of bounds, if he comes in and occupies a blocker, he could be flagged for IP (play going the other way is not enough to rule it out -- but if the play ended very shortly after K re-entered, I'd not flag it.

West Houston Mike