The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Disclaimer: I am a softball umpire and football spectator.

Situation: 1 pt game with less than 10 minutes left. Game so far has been hard fought and clean. Swing pass is broken for 60 yds and an apparent TD. No defender within 10 tds as receiver crosses the 5, he raises his finger about shoulder level and points to the sky. Flag is dropped on the 3, TD doesn't count and 15 yds are assessed against the offense. By the way, this is a playoff game with lots of emotion.

Observation: To me, it looked like an OOO that wanted to be seen. I have always been taught that any official is there to make sure the game is fair to both sides, not to be seen. This seemed like a "Look at me, I read the new rule and want to show my knowledge"

Enlighten me and teach me.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Rule set? NCAA and NFHS are different here.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 09:07am
Archaic Power Monger

That would be this game I'm guessing.

Edna falls short against Blanco, 21-20 | Advosports

The game was in Texas so NCAA rules. 1st and 10 from the A-18.

Maybe the officials were OOO, maybe not. Since I wasn't there I'll give my fellow officials, the ones picked to work a playoff game, the benefit of the doubt. Same as I would the officials in a sport I don't work or even a game I'm not working.

Unsportsmanlike conduct is always going to be a call with a high degree of judgment involved and anytime a player puts his fate in the hands of an official, it is hard to say what will happen.

Like it or not, this rule was changed in the NCAA for a reason.

Edna still had chances to win the game including a field goal that they missed.

Edit: I've always balked at the idea that the officials should not be seen. I'm sorry but that's just not true and quite often if an official makes a tough but necessary call in a close game, everybody is going to see him. That doesn't mean the call wasn't correct or that the game was not well officiated.

Last edited by Welpe; Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 09:10am.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA (and Texas UIL) want this called. And as written (intentionally, I might add, as it was changed TO this), this is penalized as any other live ball foul.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 09:59am
M.A.S.H.

I wasn't there; however, on paper this sounds like a good call.

I had a very similar play in a first round playoff game 3 years ago...bidness is bidness.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
The coaches and players all know the rules. If they don't want to get penalized they shouldn't break the rules.

Same thing I tell my wife when she is speeding.

Nobody wants to throw that flag, but WE werent' the ones breaking the rules.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Pointing to the sky is illegal?

Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:47am
TODO: creative title here

Exactly.

If you don't want the official to throw the flag for UNS in this situation, don't put yourself in a position where the official has to make a decision about if an action is UNS or not.

I haven't looked at the film... I'll defer that judgement to the official that was there.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 11:37am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Pointing to the sky is illegal?
Drawing attention to yourself is. Now, if he'd pointed to his teammates that blocked well enough for him to get to the EZ .............

Don't forget, BJ: Players can go to their sidelines & celebrate all they want -- back flips, handsprings, Icky shuffle, whatever.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that he is out ahead of everyone and about to score has drawn attention to himself so maybe he should slow down and let the defense catch up to him! Everyone is looking at him anyways, a point in the air means little to anyone else and if anything draws attention to God, Budda or Allah. How is that USC
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post

Situation: 1 pt game with less than 10 minutes left. Game so far has been hard fought and clean. Swing pass is broken for 60 yds and an apparent TD. No defender within 10 tds as receiver crosses the 5, he raises his finger about shoulder level and points to the sky. Flag is dropped on the 3, TD doesn't count and 15 yds are assessed against the offense. By the way, this is a playoff game with lots of emotion.

Observation: To me, it looked like an OOO that wanted to be seen. I have always been taught that any official is there to make sure the game is fair to both sides, not to be seen. This seemed like a "Look at me, I read the new rule and want to show my knowledge"

The same official saw the exact same act by player on other team in 1st half and did not flag. If he wanted a look at me moment, why would he not flag then? He did flag it later in the game (3d quarter, not 4th as you indicated). I have seen the videos and they are not an act that most Chapters in Texas would want to see thier rmembers flag. I also doubt you will ever see this exact act flagged in a NCAA game. This fellow did flag it and will have to live with that. If he decides he made a mistake then it will likely not be the first one he has self-admitted to. If he (or anyone else) thinks it cost the game, then he (and they) are sadly mistaken.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Which finger did he point up with?
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have always been taught that any official is there to make sure the game is fair to both sides, not to be seen.
If a coach runs out on your field, kicks dirt on your shoes, calls you a mother___, and spits in your face, what are you going to do?

Would that action cause you to "be seen?"
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post

CANADIAN RULING:

Not a chance in hell that I'm flagging this.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I wasn't there; however, on paper this sounds like a good call.
May sound good, but does it look good?

Uns Conduct 2 - YouTube

First half other team (no flag):

Uns Conduct ? - YouTube