Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Wristcoach on belt? Is that legal?
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Not in a FED game, but this wasn't FED ball.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
May sound good, but does it look good?

Uns Conduct 2 - YouTube

First half other team (no flag):

Uns Conduct ? - YouTube
I think the difference between the two was where the action started and what the BJ could see. the one that was flagged the hand goes way up at the 7 yard line, no one could miss it. The one that was not flagged, the player raised his arm at the two and did not get it that high until just before the endzone, so maybe the BJ could not see it.

In my opinion, I would not flag this in HS under Federation rules. It seems like the NCAA bad a big deal about this exact type of thing, so maybe these officials are instructed to have zero tolerance of raising the hand before the goal line (I have no clue) but I think if you flag one, you better darn well be sure that you get all of them in the game.

If you are looking to why one was flagged and the other was not, maybe my original comments make some sense, maybe not. I doubt the official was "picking on" just one team.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Not under the Federation Rules, but not sure about NCAA.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

That is why I asked, not sure of the ncaa rule? Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
I think the difference between the two was where the action started and what the BJ could see. the one that was flagged the hand goes way up at the 7 yard line, no one could miss it. The one that was not flagged, the player raised his arm at the two and did not get it that high until just before the endzone, so maybe the BJ could not see it.

In my opinion, I would not flag this in HS under Federation rules. It seems like the NCAA bad a big deal about this exact type of thing, so maybe these officials are instructed to have zero tolerance of raising the hand before the goal line (I have no clue) but I think if you flag one, you better darn well be sure that you get all of them in the game.

If you are looking to why one was flagged and the other was not, maybe my original comments make some sense, maybe not. I doubt the official was "picking on" just one team.
If you really want to parse both plays, they both ran for exactly 3 steps with their hand raised before they reached the endzone. I thought the one that wasn't flagged was the "worse" of the two as the runner looked back at a closing defender before he put his hand in the air. That said, I wouldn't have flagged either action.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:43am
Esteemed Participant

Question from a Coach...on the second play, is the block by the motioning wingback a legal block under Texas (NCAA) rules? Under NF rules, it would not be a legal block?
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Question from a Coach...on the second play, is the block by the motioning wingback a legal block under Texas (NCAA) rules? Under NF rules, it would not be a legal block?
It's not legal under either rule set. Under NCAA, that back is restricted to blocking below the waist toward his adjacent sideline. The block was towards the far sideline.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 12:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
It's not legal under either rule set. Under NCAA, that back is restricted to blocking below the waist toward his adjacent sideline. The block was towards the far sideline.
And in NFHS rules, this is an easy BBW call.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And in NFHS rules, this is an easy BBW call.
That's what I thought...it seems like a really, really obvious call to me sitting in my office chair. Not sure why a crew would let something that blatant go and then flag the finger point later.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 03:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That's what I thought...it seems like a really, really obvious call to me sitting in my office chair. Not sure why a crew would let something that blatant go and then flag the finger point later.
This is a game in Texas so NCAA rules. This block was legal last year but not this year so it was missed either because it wasn't seen or it was erroneously judged as being legal.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 03:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This is a game in Texas so NCAA rules. This block was legal last year but not this year so it was missed either because it wasn't seen or it was erroneously judged as being legal.
It stuns me that they allow blocking below the waist in the open field AT ALL at the high school level. (And I'm sure that TX officials are wondering why we don't allow it in 48 states.)
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at both of the above videos it seems both plays are similar enough that they both either should have been flagged, or neither should have been flagged, but that decision is totally limited to the covering official. Without knowing a whole lot more about this game, and how it had been played up to each of those calls an extra opinion is worthless.

There is no way of knowing whether there had been previous problems with silly displays, and teams, or specific players, may have been warned about such actions. The bar moves a lot lower when someone has been previously cautioned, and decides to test the warter anyway.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 05:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It stuns me that they allow blocking below the waist in the open field AT ALL at the high school level. (And I'm sure that TX officials are wondering why we don't allow it in 48 states.)
It could be a product of my Fed upbringing but I like the Fed rule better when it comes to blocking below the waist. Mike will now probably tell me to get my butt back to California.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It could be a product of my Fed upbringing but I like the Fed rule better when it comes to blocking below the waist. Mike will now probably tell me to get my butt back to California.
Get your butt back to California!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.