The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

First year official here, 8th game in:
Just finished a 3 game set of youth games as a HL, and during one we had an unsportsmanlike conduct call (player from team A was high-stepping into the endzone). Is this considered to be a live or dead ball foul, and does this affect the spot for the next play? Our Referee declared it a live ball foul (I believe, there are alot of calls going through my head that will probably get posted later), and enforced the penalty on the try after.

Also as a side note, I know we aren't supposed to be complete sportsmanship police out there, but team A had a 35+ pt lead with about a minute to go, and just kept running the ball instead of taking a few knees and ending it. Team B coaches on my sideline weren't too happy at all.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

USC is always a deadball foul...in your case...it is enforced on the try. As far as you dealing with sportsmanship isses...I know from where you come. Many moons ago I felt that somehow I needed to teach them. Dont get caught in that. If the other team is running the ball up the middle...my inner thought would be "tackle someone". The other thing that some officials in the lower levels try is "finding" a hold somewhere. After a couple of those eventually they figure it out on the bench and take a knee. Welcome to the fraternity.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
USC is always a deadball foul...
It's not a dead ball foul.

It's a live ball foul, penalized from the succeeding spot. USC and non-players fouls have special enforcement.

The referee was correct in his enforcement.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

It's a live ball foul, enforced as a dead ball foul. (Succeeding spot) Just to clarify.

A story!!
Years ago (first or second year for me) working a youth game -a blowout- when RB breaks a long run. He turns around, points ball at B, then runs along the one-yard line.
I was so upset at this kid, I blew the whistle and threw my flag.

The R wasn't happy with it either. So we went back to the 10 where the genius started taunting and walked back 15. Coach didn't say a thing. Wrong? Maybe.

In youth ball you can be creative in enforcements. But definitely get the USC. If we don't teach it, who will?
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 05:44am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Just finished a 3 game set of youth games as a HL, and during one we had an unsportsmanlike conduct call (player from team A was high-stepping into the endzone).
CANADIAN RULING:

This is Objectionable Conduct, which is 10 yards on the succeeding spot after all other fouls are applied. TD counts.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

simular story

a few years back during a frosh. game, this kid had a great punt return until he started high-stepping and pointing the ball at defenders...USC. To add, our state association has an automatic ejection for taunting, so he got ran to boot.
Our white hat (who knew the kid, his parents, grandparents, etc...) did not see my flag and decided to grab the kid by his shoulder pads and started yelling at him. I ran up to him, told him to let the kid go, that I had flagged his actions already. White hat asked what did I flag him for...taunting...that's an automatic ejection, he says....so be it, i replied.
That he was more worried what this kid's dad would say than doing the right thing in the first place really drove a wedge in our officiating relationship for a couple of years.
We have since kissed and made up and have had some success in post season assigments, although we do not openly talk about the "incident".
cheers,
tro