The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Foul Weather Stuff

In any given 5 year period, I can count on one, possibly two, hands the number of games we even have to wear long sleeves at (not counting December games which I haven't been fortunate enough to work yet). But even simple cold, windy, weather isn't that big a problem -- I have a lightweight long sleeve and a heavier, wind proof one -- both worn over a mock that's plenty warm.

However, the other night we had subvarsity games in driving rain that I really wasn't prepared for. What I wore got soaked and in the cold (not real cold, but cold for down here), it was very uncomfortable. I have never bought the reversible jacket because I didn't really like the idea of wearing it, but after Thursday, I've changed my mind. If we're out there 3.5-4 hours for subvarsity games, my first objective is to stay warm and dry.

So, who makes the best jackets that keep rain off and are warm enough? What about the best heavy version of black pants -- do they repel rain very well? Finally, even though we were on turf (maybe BECAUSE of it) my shoes were SOAKED! Any gore-tex black shoes out there??

Looking for some help from you northern guys!
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

The few games I've had in driving rain, I haven't found anything that will keep you dry. Everything seems to soak through. I'm certainly interested if there are ways to do it, as the two wettest games I've ever had came in November.

I have had some success with Coleman water repellent spray that we had used for camping.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

I found the heavier black pants tend to keep you drier in rain, but not if it is coming down in buckets. The weather stopper shirts are actually very good as well, but there is a difference between a hard, constant rain and some drizzling. Some of the Under Armor style does keep you drier than normal cloth shirts.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:12am
Archaic Power Monger

I have a pair of these that work very well for keeping your feet dry and they breathe decently. I got them at REI but you can find them all over the web too.

http://www.sealskinz.com/socks
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 11:39am
Chain of Fools

I too have used SealSkinz for years. I think I got mine through Cabela's. They obviously have a greater selection than when I bought mine. Wore them Friday night although our rain wound up not much more than a mist. Better to have and not need........

I bought one of the reversable jackets when I first started out. It has "shrunk" a little and is not as white as it probably once was. Its of little consequence as both associations I have worked in do not allow them to be worn on the field, just pre-game. I think back in the day it was about a $75 investment that I should have just held on to.

I bought a "knock-off" weatherbeater style LS shirt last year at the ACC clinic. Its just a nylon liner sewn into a regular shirt. Could have probably saved the $25 and just kept wearing a nylon baseball BP shirt like I used too.
In the end I think I'm nearly as wet from the sweat as the rain.

I've sprayed my hats and shirts with Scotchgard when the forecast was for rain. Don't think it really did much to help beyond light rain.

I note Honig's doesn't list their $200+ gore-tex top anymore. I wore their "original" model black pant Friday night and noticed the water beading up quite well on the fabric down near the cuff.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
So, who makes the best jackets that keep rain off and are warm enough? What about the best heavy version of black pants -- do they repel rain very well?
I spent a couple years in Central New York (Syracuse area). For the "survival mode" games, I had a pretty good routine I modified from some camping trips.
On bottom, I used a pair of long compression pants, ankle socks, and then the knickers/white-striped socks, plus cleats. With multiple games like the Pop Warner sets, I would keep a change of socks for each extra game. It helped a lot to have dry socks, plus it gave me that psychological "something to look forward to". If Vegas gets really cold, I would still do two pairs of socks, and a pair of polypro long underpants under the Honigs water-repellent pants (because that's the pants I've got).
For the upper body, I used a compression shirt, long sleeved black baseball t-shirt, long sleeve stripes, and the regular Honigs jacket. In "survival mode" nobody minded that I used a pair of tan nomex aviator gloves. Plus, they provide a nice mix of warmth and dexterity. On top, I used a black balaclava and the regular hat.

Big things are redundant and replacement pairs of socks, and something to keep the water off from directly on top of your body. Do that, and don't stop moving during the game for more than a few seconds at a time. The heat you generate will move into your clothes, and with layering, you'll provide a nice cushion between you and the cold. The water will never warm up to body temperature, but at the end of the day, you should be steaming.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Option

I just purchased a weather shield shirt from Honig's and love it. I have a jacket and find it cumbersome - let alone how it looks. This weather shield is about the same price but much better looking and much more comfortable. I wore it twice during double header rain storms and stayed both dry and warm. It runs a size small.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
In any given 5 year period, I can count on one, possibly two, hands the number of games we even have to wear long sleeves at
I hate you!

Northerly Yours
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Unwritten rules (now being written) for inclement weather wardrobe.

1. Never wear long sleaves unless the temp is in the forties.

2. Never wear gloves unless there is accumulated snow on the ground.

3. Never put your frozen ungloved hands in your pockets....ever!

4. Never wear a rain jacket or pullover...ever!

5. Never wear the face hat thing unless the temps are subzero.

6. Always pay your health insurance premiums...you will need it.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Unwritten rules (now being written) for inclement weather wardrobe.

1. Never wear long sleaves unless the temp is in the forties.

2. Never wear gloves unless there is accumulated snow on the ground.

3. Never put your frozen ungloved hands in your pockets....ever!

4. Never wear a rain jacket or pullover...ever!

5. Never wear the face hat thing unless the temps are subzero.

6. Always pay your health insurance premiums...you will need it.
Who set these parameters? I am not letting people that think they should wear shorts when the sun shines as to why I wear a certain clothing item. The only one I agree with is number 4. If I am cold I cannot concentrate.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who set these parameters? I am not letting people that think they should wear shorts when the sun shines as to why I wear a certain clothing item. The only one I agree with is number 4. If I am cold I cannot concentrate.

Peace
JRut

Don't kill the messenger. All I did was write down the heretofore unwritten rules. Don't like them?
A. Move to TX with those panzies.
B. Switch to soccer.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
JRut

Don't kill the messenger. All I did was write down the heretofore unwritten rules. Don't like them?
A. Move to TX with those panzies.
B. Switch to soccer.
I am not killing the messenger, just wondering who came up with that crap.

You realize soccer officials wear shorts all the time right?

And I do not have to move anywhere, I do not follow these rules and they certainly do not apply to me.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 03:57pm
Archaic Power Monger

Hey to be fair I wore long sleeves when it got into the 50's in California as well.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Hey to be fair I wore long sleeves when it got into the 50's in California as well.
We do too in Illinois. They do not call this the Windy City for nothing (originally this had nothing to do with the weather).

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
TX with those panzies
Come to Texas and make this statement.