The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Carry over penalty??

4th down and ball is snapped over punters head into endzone, punter turns and just kicks ball out of endzone. We flag him for illegal kick in the endzone. I know it's a safety no matter what, but would this be a carry over penalty to the free kick?
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 04:21pm
Chain of Fools

no
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 08:18pm
TODO: creative title here

Take a look at 9-5-1 (FED) and see what types of fouls have "special enforcement rules".
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Why is this an illegal kick?
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I ruled it wasn't a carry-over penalty but a couple guys on the crew thought i got it wrong.
FORKSREF--I ruled it an illegal kick because a punt is a ball that is dropped and kicked BEFORE it hits the ground and for it to be a place-kick, which is a ball sitting on the ground it must be controlled or on a tee. This play doesn't meet either of those requirements.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 10:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Accepted or declined, the play is a safety since the illegal kick was in the end zone. That's the only penalty here. Think of it the same as a hold in the end zone by A.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 04:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo-referee View Post
4th down and ball is snapped over punters head into endzone, punter turns and just kicks ball out of endzone. We flag him for illegal kick in the endzone. I know it's a safety no matter what, but would this be a carry over penalty to the free kick?
CANADIAN RULING:

Legal. Safety.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo-referee View Post
I ruled it wasn't a carry-over penalty but a couple guys on the crew thought i got it wrong.
FORKSREF--I ruled it an illegal kick because a punt is a ball that is dropped and kicked BEFORE it hits the ground and for it to be a place-kick, which is a ball sitting on the ground it must be controlled or on a tee. This play doesn't meet either of those requirements.
Sorry, I couldn't tell from the original post that the ball was on the ground when it was kicked.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 09:21am
Archaic Power Monger

Any time an accepted penalty results in a safety, that is the end of the enforcement. There is no yardage mark off along with the safety.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Think of it this way... what is the result of the play? Ball out of K's EZ is a safety. OK... what is the result of the penalty? Penalty in the EZ - safety. The safety IS the penalty enforcement. (If this is confusing... say the illegal kick went forward and OOB at the 5 - result of the play is the ball at the 5, result of the penalty enforcement - safety)

In your case, you simply have a safety regardless of acceptance of the penalty or not. Additional yardage wouldn't make sense. (Consider this like a hold in the EZ - ruling is a safety... not a safety plus some yards on the freekick, right?)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I had this exact play in a game 2 years ago.

By rule:
1. Ball kicked out of EZ = Safety
2. Penalty for fouls by A in the EZ = Safety

No yardage penalty in #2. Make your safety signal and get the teams ready for a free kick by A at their 20.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Would you guys extend a period if this was the last timed down of the period? Extend it for the free kick since the penalty is being accepted.

It would not be extended in NCAA because penalties that include a loss of down do not extend the period, but just curious about Fed Rules.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:05pm

Yes, if the penalty was accepted, we would have to have an untimed down. (3-3-4-b-5).

However, I'd be quite tempted to go with the "obvious choice" of declining the penalty and taking result of the play.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Yes, if the penalty was accepted, we would have to have an untimed down. (3-3-4-b-5).

However, I'd be quite tempted to go with the "obvious choice" of declining the penalty and taking result of the play.
Wouldn't that be the obvious NON choice? I think the offended party here is often going to want a shot at the return.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:59pm

Well, yeah.... I was banking on the coaches not knowing that rule so that I wouldn't have to deal with explaining the choice to the coaches, explaining the enforcement to the Team A coach who will undoubtedly think that we're "screwing his team over", giving the teams their 1-minute break following the score, setting up the free kick, administering the free kick, and then and only then switching sides of the field to start the next quarter.

I was trying to condense that all down into one semi-sarcastic smiley.

And Team B might not want to take the untimed down in some situations (wind advantage to making Team A kick off at the other end of the field, et al).