The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

safety in OT

Just doing some thursday night review prior to friday. looking at rulebook page 88 second full para. "If a safety is scored by the offensive team, the succeeding spot will be the 10 yard line in possession of the team that was on defense...and the score will be A-2, B-0"

Trying to imagine this scenario in a game situation. B somehow forces the ball into their own EZ, and recovers..safety. OK. Now it is Bs ball for their OT series as A leads 2-0..if I follow this correctly. So now B scores a TD and they win the game right? Isn't A being punished by having to end their possession/series due to B having a safety scored against them? it seems that instead of A being able to go ahead and finish their series and possibly score a TD, they have to settle for 2 points instead of 7 or 8...can someone clarify this for me...
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 10:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why would they be punished if they scored? They should have held onto the ball and maybe they get a TD or a FG to get more than two points. Again this might be based on how your state runs OT, but I see nothing wrong about this as if you do have a safety then the team that has the ability to stop the other team somehow.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

not sure I'm following. how is it unfair to A? they turned it over. they're incredibly fortunate to come away from their OT series with any points.

say in the first series of OT, team A throws a pick at the B-5. B22 begins to return the ball, but fumbles it backwards, where B20 falls on the ball in B's endzone. 2 points for A.

the series is over. would you say that A should be able to "decline" the safety? where would you give A the ball? at the spot of B's fumble? with a fresh set of goal to go downs?
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
not sure I'm following. how is it unfair to A? they turned it over. they're incredibly fortunate to come away from their OT series with any points.

say in the first series of OT, team A throws a pick at the B-5. B22 begins to return the ball, but fumbles it backwards, where B20 falls on the ball in B's endzone. 2 points for A.

the series is over. would you say that A should be able to "decline" the safety? where would you give A the ball? at the spot of B's fumble? with a fresh set of goal to go downs?
In NFHS OT procedures, the ball is dead as soon as B gains possession.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 08:37am
TODO: creative title here

I started a thread about this very same topic just a few weeks ago...
overtime rules question

How team A could score a safety in overtime, courtesy of one of the replies to my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes1978
If A fumbles the ball at the 5. It rolls to the 1 and stops there. Team B then muffs the ball into the endzone, creating a new force. Team B then recovers the ball in the endzone where it immediately becomes dead. This is the same way the offense can score a one point safety on a try.
As for the "unfair" thought... I don't see how it's unfair at all. Yeah, A loses the ability to score a field goal or a touchdown, but if they wanted to retain that ability they shouldn't have turned the ball over in the first place. Since B must gain possession for there to be a safety, you have two options on this play:
1) award A with 2 points for the safety, continue with B's series.
2) award A no points (as we would if the fumble was recoverd by B outside of the end zone), and continue with B's series.

At least in #1 B is required to score points of their own via a touchdown or field goal if they want to win the game.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
In NFHS OT procedures, the ball is dead as soon as B gains possession.
True. The only way for A to score a safety in OT is for B to force a loose ball into their own end zone and cause it to become dead there.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
True. The only way for A to score a safety in OT is for B to force a loose ball into their own end zone and cause it to become dead there.
Or to have the play end in A's end zone with A in possession.
Not likely, but a series of penalties could possibly push the balll back toward A's goal.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
Not likely, but a series of penalties could possibly push the balll back toward A's goal.
In your scenario, B would score a safety if the ball was in possession of the ball in their own end zone when the ball became dead.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 10:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref
In your scenario, B would score a safety if A was in possession of the ball in A's own end zone when the ball became dead.
(fixed a couple of typos in MNBlue's post).

And the game would be over.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

I knew what I meant.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

I am a little confused if you are talking about the hypothetical or the original situation. Why would the game be over?

Peace
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am a little confused if you are talking about the hypothetical or the original situation. Why would the game be over?
Not the original situation, but the one in which the safety was scored against team A. Fortunately the rules do not require the team that would be awarded a series and is ahead in score to take a knee 4 times!
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I was referring to they hypothetical situation of B scoring a safety on A's possession.... it would almost be a Tecmo Bowl play come to life.

In the original situation, if Team A scores a safety against B, then it's B's turn with the ball (assuming, of course, that B hasn't already had their possession in this OT period).
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

If it is nf this is not possible since the ball becomes dead upon b gaining possession
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 04:18pm
Small Business Owner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtridge View Post
If it is nf this is not possible since the ball becomes dead upon b gaining possession
I feel pretty confident that B has to gain possession of the football in order for B to score the safety or the touchdown as described on Page 88 section 8-1 of your 2011 Rules Book...

Last edited by KWH; Fri Sep 30, 2011 at 04:26pm.