The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Among the schools we service almost every school's football coaches rountinely come several yards on the field during a game. It is not unusual for a coach to be ten yards on the field during a play.

Having worked in another part of the country and watching high school games in other areas they don't seem to have this problem.

Is there any other area that has either had this problem and corrected it or still has it?

If you corrected it, how did you do it?
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

SIDELINE WARNING

SIDELINE INTERFERENCE (5 YARDS)

SIDELINE INTERFERENCE (15 YARDS)

Ed I have never got past the sideline warning. This is a game control issue for your wingmen. I generally let them contol the sidelines. If the coaches are "in their way" then we begin the above sequence.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

We have a problem with coaches being on the field prior to the snap but not usually during the play. But my question is this.

Sideline warnings are supposed to be for having too many coaches in the team box, not for being on the field. So, why are sideline warnings given for this?
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

BBR,

See 9-8-1k,3 Penalty
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

nvfoa15,

BBR is right, in theory. Coaches or nonplayers on the field should be 15 but really no one calls it. This year our association adopted a policy similar to yours since coaches abused the leeway we gave them. They were informed the fisrt time on the field was a sideline warning, second was 5 yards, third and subsequent 15 unsportsmanship against the head coach, 2 and he is gone. Our intention was to stop the coaches from getting an advantage by coming out to the hash to give the QB the play, or creeping into the defensive backfield. We had great success with this. Even the most abusive coaches stayed off the field.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

If a coach is crowding the field but is clearly behind me as a wing, I use the same rule as an exiting substitute; If it is behind me, I don't see it. Once the coach gets out as far as I am or is on the field at all when I am stretched to the sideline, I hit him with the warning. Very few coaches are as big as me, former O-lineman, so I remind them that not only do they risk yardage if they do it again, I may inadvertently run though them if they do it during a play. I usually get a broad smile from the coach and I have never had to bang a coach with yardage for crowding the field. The sideline warning can be diplomatically applied so that further instances are prevented and it is the most useful but least used tool the wing official has IMHO.

BulldogMcC
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I concur with BulldogMcC. Last year Illinois really stressed keeping coaches off the field, but then did not really have it strictly enforce it during the playoffs. This year our officials' association, Southwestern Athletic Officials' Association, had a clinic in conjunction with the mandatory Rules meeting. At this clinic, we invited some local coaches, one of which has a long reputation of being on the field during the game. The coaches were asked their opinion. They stated that sometimes they get caught up in the moment, and unknowingly enter the field. They stated that as long as they do not interfere with the official's performance,then they should not be penalized. Most of the wing official's in our association agreed, that out of sight out of mind for warning/penalty enforcement, but reminded the coach that this did not apply to players, nor did it give them leeway to be on the field to verbally abuse the official's calls or judgment, for out of sight does not mean out of ear shot. We also told the coaches that if they did not move back when asked by wing official, then sideline warnings or other appropriate action would be taken.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

My first 9th grade game I ran a player over while working the wing . I would have run BEHIND the coach if I had not hit his player.The play was on my side of the field!!! During the pregame I followed my Chapter's rules interpeter suggestion to discuss sideline clearance with the Head Coach and ask the coach who I can use to help me manage the sideline.( So he has time to coach the game )The Head coach pretty much ignored my question but standing there looking down at his player gasping for breath wondering if his ribs were broke , he looked like he was sorry he brushed me off.

I make it a point to eyeball the head coach and inform him my concern is for the players and coaches safety. After several games I never had a problem. I make sure the coach appoints a "sideline manager" to work with me.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nvfoa15
BBR,

See 9-8-1k,3 Penalty
Dave, I'm aware of the two rules. But neither rule specifically covers coaches and non-players who are on the field. In fact, 9-8-1k specifically says "...not on the field." Case play 9.8.3 discusses coaches and non-players being in the coaches' box, not on the field. Our association follows the same practice as yours but like Steve stated, it would seem to me that it's 15 yards anytime a coach is on the field during a play.

Also, for those who commented that if the coach is behind them, they don't see him. Our wing officials stand on the sideline. We adjust in, if necessary. So, if he's behind me, he's in the coaching box.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

BBR,

You're right, I didn't read the rule correctly. As for my crew, I tell them if the coach is on the field during a play and he interfers with your ability to officiate the game or the play FLAG HIM! But I'm not so concerned with a coach who is on the field a few yards when play is inside the twenty. For this situation I think it is politically correct to use the warning/penalty procedure

I am generally leinient with coaches who converse with their player(s) between downs. However, in a recent evaluation I was gigged for this. Since then I am less likely to let coaches get away with it.

Several years ago when this was a POE I had a coach, and rightly so, say to me that I was more concerned with the sideline than the game. I took this comment with the grain of salt that was intended and concentrated more on the game on the field (where the outcome should be decided) than sideline management. Unfortunately, this decision as come around to bite me in the a$$ and I have had to resort to the warning/penalty procedure. I will have to say that if your going to do it do it early - that will save your trouble in the end.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

In Indiana, the coaches are the ONLY evaluators, so nobody calls sideline warnings or penalties. I usually ask a coach once or twice per quarter to get his kids back please. I always ask the Head Coach, preferably when he wants to talk to somebody else. They usually get annoyed enough at the kids to move them back to an acceptable distance. If I were to use a flag for a warning and/or penalty in Indiana it would insure my crew of a poor tournament vote.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Tom Cook,

We have the same problem in Illinois. The coaches are the evaluators and their ratings determine promotion and playoff games. All coaches are to rate the next day. However, it is usually the coach who is penalized or who lost a game who typically rates, and rates you for that one call rather than the whole game. This past year we had two officials going for promotion, and they were somewhat tentative to throw certain flags because of the effect they knew it would have on their ratings and chances for promotion.playoff games.
Our wing officials ask the coaches which three are allowed in the box for the game, and advise the coaches they are in control of the sideline. The opposing coach will keep remindeing the opposite wing that his partner is letting the other coach on the field during the game. So, the wings both us the out-of-sight theory as well well that his sideline, this is mine.
Really do not know if there is a good solution when the coaches are you evaluators.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

I thank the good Lord, every Friday night, that I don't have to worry about a coach evalauting me or having input on my rating. Personally, I think it's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard of. JMHO. You guys certainly have my sympathy, that you have to put up with that.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

It is a leftover from the period of lords and serfs and the officials are the serfs.

Just last night in a three-man JH game one of the officials is working for promotion. On the side of the field opposite him a tackle is made where the player initiates in bounds and carries the play out of bounds. Perfectly legal. One of the coaches goes ballistic, grabs the ball and flings onto the field.

Linen time! Yellow linen time!

Now the official who is looking for promotion is in trouble because the two officials who don't need the rating have just penalized a coach albeit for a good reason.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 01:50pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs up See NFHS 9-8-1i

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by nvfoa15
BBR,

See 9-8-1k,3 Penalty
Dave, I'm aware of the two rules. But neither rule specifically covers coaches and non-players who are on the field. In fact, 9-8-1k specifically says "...not on the field." Case play 9.8.3 discusses coaches and non-players being in the coaches' box, not on the field. Our association follows the same practice as yours but like Steve stated, it would seem to me that it's 15 yards anytime a coach is on the field during a play.

Also, for those who commented that if the coach is behind them, they don't see him. Our wing officials stand on the sideline. We adjust in, if necessary. So, if he's behind me, he's in the coaching box.
BBR
Coaches on the field IS in the Rule book and it IS 15 yards. 9-8-1-i
9-8-1...No coach, substitute, trainier, or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest.
Example are, but not limited to:
i. Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player.
UC-15 YARDS

Also see support in: CASEBOOK 9.8.1 SITUATION F

I concur with the others, it is becoming more and more of a problem again. Perhaps it is time to make it a POE again.
I feel for thoses of you that can't throw a flag due to a possible bad ratings from coaches. In Oregon we officially ended the coaches rating 2 years ago. Boy did we drink some beer that night!

Hope this helps