The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

NFHS; fundamental issue; KEEPING PLAYERS IN THE TEAM BOX

Most often when working the flanks, I work hard at keeping the players in the team box. I use the coaches to help as well as talking with the players. And, I reserve a sideline warning primarily for those few occasions when I'm getting no help from the coaches/players in complying with my requests. My sideline warnings are few and far between.

I've seen 2 tactics that have worked well and wondered if any of you have any further suggestions.

#1 - Out of my control, but effective. The home team had put tarps down to identify the team box. All I needed to do was to tell the coach to get the players in the box and he would bark at them to "get on the tarp!" The kids obeyed instantly and it seemed that "get on the tarp" made more sense to them than "get in the box". If this is consistent with what others have seen, wouldn't it be great to have a league that supported the tarp.

#2 Instruct the chain crew to work 2-3 yds off of the sideline. I know, we've all been there. They claim they can't because of the coaches and players. Precisely the point! When they are off the line, the players stay behind them and often the coaches. And, the chain crew can help to keep kids behind them so that they can do their job. How many of you are successful at running the chains off the line?

Other tips?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Identify the 'get back' coach in the pregame. Ask the head coach, and now you know who is responsible for telling the players to 'get back!'.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, AB.

For me, that works sometimes, but not most times.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

The easiest time I had keeping a team back was at a field where it had rained heavily for several days before. There was a pit for a long jump, or some other track and field event right about where the team box would be. It was filled with water, and was almost knee-deep in some spots. It served as a moat, helping to shield myself and my working area, like a king in a castle. The team stood behind this for the entire game. The only foreseeable disadvantage popped into my head, when a sweep came to my side. Fortunately, I was able to step back upfield, and let the run go by me, where the tackler and the runner slid out of bounds, and right into the water.

So, I suppose that I am not really giving any suggestions here, unless you have the ability to control the weather, and the layout of the field and the surrounding areas. It was just a pleasant coincidence.

Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I would think a Tarp is a bad idea just for safety reasons alone.

Tarps are very slick. If its a canvas tarp it could get a players spikes caught up in it and injure the player .