View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

BBR,

You're right, I didn't read the rule correctly. As for my crew, I tell them if the coach is on the field during a play and he interfers with your ability to officiate the game or the play FLAG HIM! But I'm not so concerned with a coach who is on the field a few yards when play is inside the twenty. For this situation I think it is politically correct to use the warning/penalty procedure

I am generally leinient with coaches who converse with their player(s) between downs. However, in a recent evaluation I was gigged for this. Since then I am less likely to let coaches get away with it.

Several years ago when this was a POE I had a coach, and rightly so, say to me that I was more concerned with the sideline than the game. I took this comment with the grain of salt that was intended and concentrated more on the game on the field (where the outcome should be decided) than sideline management. Unfortunately, this decision as come around to bite me in the a$$ and I have had to resort to the warning/penalty procedure. I will have to say that if your going to do it do it early - that will save your trouble in the end.