The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Excessive celebration-Pinstripe Bowl

An absolute national disgrace.
The Big Ten should be embarrassed for nominating this crew knowing it would make such a horrendous decision.
Its track record was obvious.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 07:41pm
Official & Member

I saw this play and the ensuing call. I'm a basketball guy but I'd like to hear what some football vets think about this one. From an outsider's perspective it seemed harsh at a critical juncture in the game. Definitely had an impact on the outcome.

I'll hang up and listen now...thanks for taking my call...
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Is this about the flag for the salute.

Some days I think the USA is falling like the Roman Empire fell.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:25pm
Official & Member

Yes. A player saluted to the crowd following a late TD. He was flagged for excessive celebration (I think). It was assesed on the two point convesion attempt (Ks St. HAD to go for two to tie with around a minute left). Following the penalty, the ball was placed around the 17 instead of the 2. 2 point conversion (to tie) failed. Ks. St. loses by 2.

What really puzzles me is how THIS was flagged when I see much sillier behavior following a score in college ball. I'm wondering if THIS particular act is a point of reference this year or something. Is it a conference thing? Spirit of the rule?

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu Dec 30, 2010 at 08:29pm.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I saw this play and the ensuing call. I'm a basketball guy but I'd like to hear what some football vets think about this one. From an outsider's perspective it seemed harsh at a critical juncture in the game. Definitely had an impact on the outcome.

I'll hang up and listen now...thanks for taking my call...
This call and crew is getting the national ridicule it deserves.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

jimpiano,

Although, I did not see the call in question, I question your approach and opinion about the Big Ten Conference selections for this year's bowl season.

The Big Ten has sent its best officials at every position to every one of its bowl game assignments including this year's BCS National Championship.

Also, across the board from high school to the NFL post scoring play showboating has been a point of emphasis on officiating crews.....so whether you or other officials agree or disagree with the call.....the crew was at least watching what happened after the play
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
From an outsider's perspective it seemed harsh at a critical juncture in the game.
While I don't know what type of instruction Big Ten crews have had regarding this type of display, I do know that when it happens has nothing to do with whether it should be flagged or not. If that's a foul in the 1st qtr. it's a foul in the 4th quarter.

What is telling is that the exact same thing has happened twice in the UNC-UT game but no call has been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refereefollower View Post
jimpiano,

Although, I did not see the call in question, I question your approach and opinion about the Big Ten Conference selections for this year's bowl season.
Pay him no mind. He's not an official. He's just a fanboy who posts here whenever there's a controversial call made. He's not here to participate in a discussion, just to stir trouble. Put him on your Ignore List.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up bktballref for the heads up.....I will do that
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RedCashions
Quote:
Originally Posted by refereefollower View Post
.....the crew was at least watching what happened after the play
Must have missed the flashing of the O sign after an Orangeman touchdown. Being a Big Ten crew they must find this to be a penalty only when done by an Ohio State player. And the exhibition at mid field following a sack on the KSU QB in the fourth; afterwhich, the player unbuckled his helmet and slowly ran his hand up his body was not considered a violation of either the spirit or the letter of the world!? I have officialte for over 30 years can not wrap my head around the calls (made and not made) at that juncture of the game. But then again, I wondered what Synder was thinking about going for it on 4th and 5. It's too bad a fun game to watch will be debated over the call made by the officals and not the coaches.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

It's tough to defend this one. I have no allegiance whatsoever to Kansas State. I just can't see how you make that call. It was a simple salute to his own fans. It lasted all of one second. The kid didn't even pause. Simple gestures like that happen in every football game, at every level. I'm up for hearing the opposing viewpoint, but I think it's pretty clear that this was an inappropriate flag.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Tennessee players, both the receivers and the QB did it after all three TS passes, as well as one receiver who pulled the belt buckle gag. No flags for any of those, Big Ten crew as well. That's real hard for fans to understand, much less officials.

Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Plays like this were on the NCAA training video this year that instruct officials to flag this. He could have just as easily walked to his team area but instead he put the officials in a position to make a judgement call. 2 officials flagged it independently of each other. What do you do when you have a rule that says it's a foul?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Plays like this were on the NCAA training video this year that instruct officials to flag this. He could have just as easily walked to his team area but instead he put the officials in a position to make a judgement call. 2 officials flagged it independently of each other. What do you do when you have a rule that says it's a foul?

Obviously, you call the foul. Because of the two flags, I figured that this crew had run into this situation earlier in the season or in training, and someone told them to penalize this action. Where it becomes frustrating is when very similar, or even bigger, actions in other games are not penalized. It isn't just frustrating for the fans of that team, but also for others who are quick to criticize, but slow to look up the actual rule. For the record, I am a K-State student and fan, but I really am a basketball official, so I am trying really hard to participate in the discussion but not be a fanboy.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
OK, I can with that. But why doesn't another crew from the same conference make the same call when players in their game repeatedly commit the same act? That's inconsistency and it makes the crew look very bad.

Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
OK, I can with that. But why doesn't another crew from the same conference make the same call when players in their game repeatedly commit the same act? That's inconsistency and it makes the crew look very bad.
Big Ten officiating had a bad day all around...this crew flags a minor salute that should draw a warning at most and the UNC-Tennessee crew can't count to 12 (players participating in formation).