The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Excessive celebration-Pinstripe Bowl (https://forum.officiating.com/football/60310-excessive-celebration-pinstripe-bowl.html)

jimpiano Thu Dec 30, 2010 07:34pm

Excessive celebration-Pinstripe Bowl

An absolute national disgrace.
The Big Ten should be embarrassed for nominating this crew knowing it would make such a horrendous decision.
Its track record was obvious.

Bad Zebra Thu Dec 30, 2010 07:41pm

I saw this play and the ensuing call. I'm a basketball guy but I'd like to hear what some football vets think about this one. From an outsider's perspective it seemed harsh at a critical juncture in the game. Definitely had an impact on the outcome.

I'll hang up and listen now...thanks for taking my call...

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 30, 2010 08:21pm

Is this about the flag for the salute.

Some days I think the USA is falling like the Roman Empire fell.

Bad Zebra Thu Dec 30, 2010 08:25pm

Yes. A player saluted to the crowd following a late TD. He was flagged for excessive celebration (I think). It was assesed on the two point convesion attempt (Ks St. HAD to go for two to tie with around a minute left). Following the penalty, the ball was placed around the 17 instead of the 2. 2 point conversion (to tie) failed. Ks. St. loses by 2.

What really puzzles me is how THIS was flagged when I see much sillier behavior following a score in college ball. I'm wondering if THIS particular act is a point of reference this year or something. Is it a conference thing? Spirit of the rule?

jimpiano Thu Dec 30, 2010 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 711011)
I saw this play and the ensuing call. I'm a basketball guy but I'd like to hear what some football vets think about this one. From an outsider's perspective it seemed harsh at a critical juncture in the game. Definitely had an impact on the outcome.

I'll hang up and listen now...thanks for taking my call...

This call and crew is getting the national ridicule it deserves.

refereefollower Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:17pm

jimpiano,

Although, I did not see the call in question, I question your approach and opinion about the Big Ten Conference selections for this year's bowl season.

The Big Ten has sent its best officials at every position to every one of its bowl game assignments including this year's BCS National Championship.

Also, across the board from high school to the NFL post scoring play showboating has been a point of emphasis on officiating crews.....so whether you or other officials agree or disagree with the call.....the crew was at least watching what happened after the play

BktBallRef Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 711011)
From an outsider's perspective it seemed harsh at a critical juncture in the game.

While I don't know what type of instruction Big Ten crews have had regarding this type of display, I do know that when it happens has nothing to do with whether it should be flagged or not. If that's a foul in the 1st qtr. it's a foul in the 4th quarter.

What is telling is that the exact same thing has happened twice in the UNC-UT game but no call has been made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by refereefollower (Post 711037)
jimpiano,

Although, I did not see the call in question, I question your approach and opinion about the Big Ten Conference selections for this year's bowl season.

Pay him no mind. He's not an official. He's just a fanboy who posts here whenever there's a controversial call made. He's not here to participate in a discussion, just to stir trouble. Put him on your Ignore List.

refereefollower Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:58pm

Thanks for the heads up bktballref for the heads up.....I will do that

RedCashions Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refereefollower (Post 711037)
.....the crew was at least watching what happened after the play

Must have missed the flashing of the O sign after an Orangeman touchdown. Being a Big Ten crew they must find this to be a penalty only when done by an Ohio State player. And the exhibition at mid field following a sack on the KSU QB in the fourth; afterwhich, the player unbuckled his helmet and slowly ran his hand up his body was not considered a violation of either the spirit or the letter of the world!? I have officialte for over 30 years can not wrap my head around the calls (made and not made) at that juncture of the game. But then again, I wondered what Synder was thinking about going for it on 4th and 5. It's too bad a fun game to watch will be debated over the call made by the officals and not the coaches.

ILRef80 Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07pm

It's tough to defend this one. I have no allegiance whatsoever to Kansas State. I just can't see how you make that call. It was a simple salute to his own fans. It lasted all of one second. The kid didn't even pause. Simple gestures like that happen in every football game, at every level. I'm up for hearing the opposing viewpoint, but I think it's pretty clear that this was an inappropriate flag.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:14pm

Tennessee players, both the receivers and the QB did it after all three TS passes, as well as one receiver who pulled the belt buckle gag. No flags for any of those, Big Ten crew as well. That's real hard for fans to understand, much less officials.

JasonTX Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22pm

Plays like this were on the NCAA training video this year that instruct officials to flag this. He could have just as easily walked to his team area but instead he put the officials in a position to make a judgement call. 2 officials flagged it independently of each other. What do you do when you have a rule that says it's a foul?

junruh07 Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX (Post 711061)
Plays like this were on the NCAA training video this year that instruct officials to flag this. He could have just as easily walked to his team area but instead he put the officials in a position to make a judgement call. 2 officials flagged it independently of each other. What do you do when you have a rule that says it's a foul?

Obviously, you call the foul. Because of the two flags, I figured that this crew had run into this situation earlier in the season or in training, and someone told them to penalize this action. Where it becomes frustrating is when very similar, or even bigger, actions in other games are not penalized. It isn't just frustrating for the fans of that team, but also for others who are quick to criticize, but slow to look up the actual rule. For the record, I am a K-State student and fan, but I really am a basketball official, so I am trying really hard to participate in the discussion but not be a fanboy.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX (Post 711061)

OK, I can with that. But why doesn't another crew from the same conference make the same call when players in their game repeatedly commit the same act? That's inconsistency and it makes the crew look very bad.

RealityCheck Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 711071)
OK, I can with that. But why doesn't another crew from the same conference make the same call when players in their game repeatedly commit the same act? That's inconsistency and it makes the crew look very bad.

Big Ten officiating had a bad day all around...this crew flags a minor salute that should draw a warning at most and the UNC-Tennessee crew can't count to 12 (players participating in formation).