The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 06:39pm
M.A.S.H.

Word has it that the gray pinstripe shirts could be an option next year with the IHSA as long as all three (or two) officials wear them (of course) Thoughts?
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Tanner,

Where did you hear this information at? I love the gray!

Ken
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

As someone who's area used to require greys but we recently switched to stripes, I have this to say,

"Watch what you wish for..."
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wish Wisconsin HS would allow them! What's wrong with having the OPTION? Like the "alternate shirt" in some other sports.

I've worn them in AAU, All-Star and JUCO.

wl
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 09:44pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Wish Wisconsin HS would allow them! What's wrong with having the OPTION? Like the "alternate shirt" in some other sports.

I've worn them in AAU, All-Star and JUCO.

wl

Ken,

No one directly, just something floating that I heard.

WL,

I agree. That's sort of the angle they are using, that other sports have alternate shirts.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

We used the grays at State this year.
The State gave us one free...and most of us bought an additional one. The patches were embrodiered (sp) on...which made it kind of nice.

The thing I can see about these is that there will be different brands putting the shirts out...and the colors and textures will be different.
Also, as others have stated before, sweat really does show through these grays.
Other than that, I suppose the shirts were nice for a different look.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

The thing I can see about these is that there will be different brands putting the shirts out...and the colors and textures will be different.
That's the main problem with the greys. When we used to wear them, there were more than 3 suppliers of the shirts and each one had a different idea of what grey was. Some people bought the pricey PolyCool shirt because it's lightweight and comfortable, others would buy anohter type because it's cheaper and already had the crests embroidered on it.

On a 3 man crew, you could see 3 different variations of grey, it looked horrible. Take my advice, stick to stripes.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The State gave us one free...and most of us bought an additional one. The patches were embrodiered (sp) on...which made it kind of nice.

RookieDude...

You are correct....there will be different shades of grays for every brand manufactured. Just make sure your whole crew gets the same brand from the same company!

Our crew purchased our grays w/black pinstripes from OfficialsChoice way back when they didn't have the shipping price fiasco. The shirt is the "Micro-Softer" brand....same as the B&W they sell. No question about it...it's the most comfortable shirt out there! This particular brand shirt has not shown the sweat to my knowledge....and I'm a free sweater. Being bald, the sweat just runs down your head/face and is absorbed by my McDavid Hdc Compression undershirt ready to be evaporated due to the "micro" holes in the "micro-softer" shirt. COOL.... We've worn the grays during the summer AAU & HS All-Star games and stay pretty comfortable.

wl
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rookiedude,

I talked to the "big guy" of the WOA and he said that the gray shirts that you wore (and approved for use next year in Washington State) are the Cliff Keen brand.

I saw about 4 minutes of your game on last Friday afternoon at the T-Dome.

Z
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Rookiedude,

I talked to the "big guy" of the WOA and he said that the gray shirts that you wore (and approved for use next year in Washington State) are the Cliff Keen brand.

I saw about 4 minutes of your game on last Friday afternoon at the T-Dome.

Z
Cool...wish I could have met you. I met Ron Pilo and we had a nice chat while watching a game. Ron's a class act...knows his stuff.

Z...was that game Friday the one I had with Snohomish?...They have that kid that is going to UW, what a great kid! Polite...just goes out and dominates with his size and athleticism.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Word has it that the gray pinstripe shirts could be an option next year with the IHSA as long as all three (or two) officials wear them (of course) Thoughts?
TJones,

I have heard this rumor for 3 years now. Until it happens I will not believe it. I already wear the shirts for college basketball. I like the feel of the shirts when I work a game. I personally think it would be a bad idea if you ask me. Officials would have to buy new shirts and that alone might cause more problems than it is worth. I guess we will see.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

I don't see how these state associations can "approve" the wearing of the gray shirts when the NFHS Rules Book doesn't permit it. It clearly specifies the proper uniform.

Rule 2 Officials and Their Duties
SECTION 1 GAME AND TABLE OFFICIALS
ART. 1 . . . The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks.

Perhaps the NFHS will make that change this summer.
Even the NCAA had to modify their manual this season to allow the 3 inch black insert in the sideseam for their officials.

Of course, we know that this is really just about someone making money. The shirt manufacturers see this as a great way to potentially double their revenue. If each official has to have both shirts in his bag, then they sell twice as many shirts.

Since I officiate soccer, I can tell you that multiple shirts is one of the worst deals for an official that you can imagine. We have FOUR different colors and two styles (short sleeve and long sleeve). That's eight shirts that need to be packed into a bag for games. Besides the expense of the additional shirts, the possibility of forgetting or losing one is greatly increased.

IMO just say no to the people pushing the grays. They do not have the best interests of the officials in mind.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Of course, we know that this is really just about someone making money. The shirt manufacturers see this as a great way to potentially double their revenue. If each official has to have both shirts in his bag, then they sell twice as many shirts.

Since I officiate soccer, I can tell you that multiple shirts is one of the worst deals for an official that you can imagine. We have FOUR different colors and two styles (short sleeve and long sleeve). That's eight shirts that need to be packed into a bag for games. Besides the expense of the additional shirts, the possibility of forgetting or losing one is greatly increased.

IMO just say no to the people pushing the grays. They do not have the best interests of the officials in mind.

No one is asking for "mandatory" Nevada....just the option! And of course, all crew members must wear the same that game.

The money issue doesn't stand. I generally purchase two new shirts per year. It generally is covered by working one game. I believe it's just the cost of "business". I also believe most of us pack an extra shirt or two in case we soak through one....blood gets on it.....partner, oops, forgets his/her's.

No big deal....if you don't like 'em....don't wear 'em....but those that do.....hey, you have a CHOICE.

JMHO

wl
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see how these state associations can "approve" the wearing of the gray shirts when the NFHS Rules Book doesn't permit it. It clearly specifies the proper uniform.

The National Federation does not have authority over what procedures and rules states want to follow. I have lived in different states over the years and there were a lot of procedures, rules and requirements that changed when I moved. Of course they might not like it when it happens, but if a state wants to have a procedure that works for them I do not see how that can be stopped. The rule also does not say it is required. It just states what the officials shall wear. I do not read anything that says it is required.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Rule 2 Officials and Their Duties
SECTION 1 GAME AND TABLE OFFICIALS
ART. 1 . . . The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks.

Perhaps the NFHS will make that change this summer.
Even the NCAA had to modify their manual this season to allow the 3 inch black insert in the sideseam for their officials.

The states can do whatever they want. The NFHS doesn't mandate anything. Otherwise there'd be no high school shot clock anywhere and we know that's not the case.