The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Lightbulb

In a cross-conference 3A/2A Girls Vars. match-up, the 2A team was the home team. On two consecutive successful 3pt. tries, the stud-baller raises her arms as the official signaled the successful tries. It was fun, sure, but more NBA-ish--mimmic like. Does this fall under the "inciting the crowd" or not having "all actions and reactions...demonstrating appropriate sporting behavior" or even "taunting/self promoting"? The losing 3A visiting coach plead this case for a "T" w/ the officials both times when she did this. What would you do? What should you do? Thanks. Good luck, all...
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

If she was simply lifting her arms, as we do in the 3 pt. signal, I would probably ignore it as you did. You might say something to her when you get a chance about sportsmanship...how some might interpret her actions as un-sporting.

Having said that, if you have a player pumping his/her fists in the air, waving them, and looking at the crowd while doing so...you may have something all together different. That could be construed as inciting the crowd and/or self promotion...something we frown on in the H.S. game.

At least that is what I have been told by Veteran Officials.

RD
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Guys - there's a difference between encouraging the crowd to cheer and support your team and inciting them against the officials calls and/or the other team.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I would be shocked (shocked I tell you) to see someone issue a T for raising hands in a three point signal, unless they were doing it to contest a ref saying that the shot was a two. Tell the whiner coach to get his defenders to step out on the shooter so she quits making easy buckets.