The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 05:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I am so looking forward to when I'm able to work my first PERFECT game. Then, perhaps I'll be able to classify other officials as horrible, lazy or lack of hustle and poor positioning on the basis of observing one play. I guess until I actually achieve PERFECTION I'll just have to continue to muddle along doing the best I cam, as often and consistently as possible knowing full well that most likely even my very best effort is going to fall somewhat short of PERFECT.
Like it or not, we can all be judged on one play. I accept that and do my best on every play.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That's the signal for incomplete? I thought he was pointing "backward"!
I've seen this on 2 different sites, and both times I see the wing going for and getting his whistle to his mouth and his right arm coming out as his body gets cut off by the camera with his left arm letting go of the whistle and coming out as if he's going to signal with both arms.

If he is pointing backwards....it is even worse mechanics than I first thought. The backward arm signal should happen when the wing sees and realizes the toss/pass, etc...was in fact, a lateral....not after it's bouncing around on the ground. If you look close enough at the wing a few times as the camera pans left, you can see his left arm swinging across to motion, what I believe, was an incomplete pass signal.

Either way...for these guys' sake....I hope it was at the tail end of the contest. We've all had our moments we'd like to forget. These guys just happen to have one that them, and a lot of other people, won't soon forget.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 07:42pm.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Like it or not, we can all be judged on one play. I accept that and do my best on every play.
True, there are times when we will be judged by one play, but usually that's by idiots who haven't got the foggiest idea of what they're talking about, or what we actually do.

It really shouldn't be by those who understand the job and the reality that "stuff" happens and all of us are subject to occassional breaks in concentration or our primary focus being diverted to somewhere it shouldn't, for any number of reasons.

We all make mistakes, and all of ou mistakes can be useful as "teaching moments" to others, but those who actually know what they're talking about should be able to keep their comments constructive, and at least away from the really stupid stuff.