The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

nope

Following the ready-for-play and after the snapper has placed his
hand(s) on the ball, encroachment occurs if any other player breaks the plane of

the neutral zone
and lining up there first qualifies as breaking it after the snapper has his hands on the ball

that is the fed rule....the NCAA rule is different....

Last edited by cmathews; Thu Oct 21, 2010 at 04:30pm.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 04:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
it is a foul when it happens, not at the snap, and why would you wait for the snap to call it??? assuming you would call it at the snap, I understand that if it isn't big it may not be called...but if it is big enough to call, why on earth would you wait for the snap???
Are you going to flag a receiver for entering into the neutral zone when he is lining up or are you going to at least give him a chance to correct himself?
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

if

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Are you going to flag a receiver for entering into the neutral zone when he is lining up or are you going to at least give him a chance to correct himself?

If I am going to flag it, it will be before the snap...if he wanders out, looks in and corrects himself I am going to let it go..but if it warrants a flag it will happen before the snap...receivers get more leeway for sure...
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 05:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
If I am going to flag it, it will be before the snap...if he wanders out, looks in and corrects himself I am going to let it go..but if it warrants a flag it will happen before the snap...receivers get more leeway for sure...
Glad to hear, I think we are more or less in agreement then.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ok so a lot of you guys are giving different explanations: I'm confused.

FOUL AT THE SNAP: If after the ready for play AND after the center has placed his hand on the ball if B is in the NZ at the snap. No foul if defense gets back???

FOUL BEFORE THE SNAP: If B crosses into the NZ after the ready for play AND after the center has placed his hand on the B.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post

FOUL AT THE SNAP: If after the ready for play AND after the center has placed his hand on the ball if B is in the NZ at the snap. No foul if defense gets back???

FOUL BEFORE THE SNAP: If B crosses into the NZ after the ready for play AND after the center has placed his hand on the B.
Technically if any player is in the neutral zone any time after the RFP and the snapper places his hands on the ball, it is encroachment. What everyone is discussion is how technically you enforce that. For example, if a defender comes out to cover a receiver and he happens to get into the neutral zone, you don't nitpick it. But if he's still there at the snap, you kill the play and flag it. If a defensive lineman takes a position on his side of the NZ but jumps into the NZ before the snap, you will kill the play immediately and flag it. There is no difference in the rules in your two situations but the philosophy and application may be different.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Already answered, but no. Lined up in the NZ is a foul at the snap.
You are playing NCAA rules in Texas...NFHS rule say this is a dead ball foul.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post

Your confusion is not caused by the rules, it's a question of understanding how, and when, to apply the rules. The over arching umbrella covering all rules is the question of "Advantage/Disadvantage", which as you gain experience will seem a clearer issue.

Rules are simply the verbiage expressing the intent of how a game is supposed to be played. As you will inevitably understand, selecting the appropriate and proper verbiage to express an intention is at best an inaccurate art form.

How tightly, or technically, you apply specific rules depends substantially on the skill level of the participants, the tightness of the contest and the level of competition. The primary objective is to prevent one team (or player) from gaining an unfair advantage over the opponent. The emphasis and focus on the word unfair is deliberate, as the heart of this game is to take advantage of the opponents weaknesses.

"Consistency" is a word bandied about in relation to officiating. The primary level of consistency required is limited to "within the game you are working", whereas how you may react or respond to a particular action is the same at the beginning, during and through, up to the end and it is applied equally to both teams.

Beyond "that game" consistency applies to how YOU may respond to similar situations in other games, then how YOU may respond in similar situations to the manner and extent others, in your universe, respond to those situations, but the primary focus remains with how consistent YOU are within THAT game you are currently working.

How tightly/technically YOU decide to work is YOUR decision, and you will have all sorts of advice and guidance available helping/hindering you in making those decisions. You will see levels that work well and levels that work poorly and you should consider both in formulating your own standards.

Flexibility and a willingness to adjust are key as circumstances and situations will never be static. There are very few "silver bullets" and one size NEVER fits all.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
You are playing NCAA rules in Texas...NFHS rule say this is a dead ball foul.
I know what my rules state... I thought I was answering as others have before regarding the FED rule (in fact, one before me DID answer that way). Apparently, the rule as given to me here before is wrong, although the interp isn't.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Prior to the ready for play signal, if the Defensive Tackle is lined up in the neutral zone and does not move, is it encroachment once the ready for play has been signaled AND the center has placed their hands on the ball?
Before the ball is ready for play, there is no neutral zone. If teams have been lining up without a huddle, it's not uncommon for them to start lining up before the ball is ready for play, in which case they may not see where the neutral zone is going to be, so they have a chance to get onside once the ball is spotted. Otherwise, it's common after the ball is RFP for players to be transiently in or on the wrong side of the neutral zone when they enter via substitution, or, if team A has been snapping quickly, still returning after the previous play.

I don't know whether the current Fed mechanic in the case of players returning to their side is to delay the RFP until they're back. If so, then the last case I mentioned above should not occur. Officials then have to decide whether their delay is within the bounds allowed or a delay of game foul by the lagging player.