The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
first touching

very interesting situation. we have a tied ball game with 6 seconds to go in the game. the score is tied 14-14 and team A in kicking off. the kick is squibed and first touched by A within the 10 yards, team B picks up the ball and runs all the way to the 10 yard line and the time expires. the clock started when B picked up the ball. is there any way that B could take the ball at the spot of first touching and have an untimed down or do we go to overtime? since there is no penalty for first touching and the clock expired i would think that regulation is over. although first touching has some elements of a penalty.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Game over.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
very interesting situation. we have a tied ball game with 6 seconds to go in the game. the score is tied 14-14 and team A in kicking off. the kick is squibed and first touched by A within the 10 yards, team B picks up the ball and runs all the way to the 10 yard line and the time expires. the clock started when B picked up the ball. is there any way that B could take the ball at the spot of first touching and have an untimed down or do we go to overtime? since there is no penalty for first touching and the clock expired i would think that regulation is over. although first touching has some elements of a penalty.
KDF is right: the game is over (or headed for OT).

First touching is a "violation" but not a foul. So yes, it shares some dimensions of fouls, including a kind of penalty. But the relevant part of the untimed down rule (3-3-3a) makes it clear that we play an untimed down only when the penalty for a foul is accepted.

Since first touching is not a foul, 3-3-3a does not apply.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 07:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
CANADIAN RULING:

If B declines the Illegal Touching (first touching before the ball went 10 yards), go to overtime.

If B accepts the IT, back 5 and re-kick.

The clock should start when A touched the ball, even though it was an illegal touch.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

If I am seeing this correctly, the kicking team should not have been able to advance it anyway. It should have been blown dead when they recovered a muffed kick. Am I missing something here?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
If I am seeing this correctly, the kicking team should not have been able to advance it anyway. It should have been blown dead when they recovered a muffed kick. Am I missing something here?
You are missing something, bkdow ... it was B (or R) who recovered and advanced the kick. A (or K) had merely touched it prior to going 10 yards.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

ah, yes, thank you!! Sorry about that!
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
That's what I was thinking. There's really not enough information here, but assuming K was the one guilty of first touching, they had to have touched it before it went 10 yds, and that's fine - no penalty. But to pick it up and run with it means they gained possession, and at that point should have been ruled a dead ball. If that's what happened, then it should have been R's ball at the spot of first touching, right?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Never mind - i'm all confused with the A&B thing instead of K&R.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Related question

K kicks onside but puts such a spin on the ball that it travels backward. The ball is rolling along on K's 35 yard line and R attempts to pick it up. Luckily, he recovered it. But if he didn't could K have recovered and gained possession?

It seems like they could have but I was unsure because the recovery was behind the free kick line.

Any thoughts?
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

6-1-5: "Any K player may recover the ball before it goes beyond R’s free-kick line if it is touched first by any receiver."