The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,105
Pee Wee Coaches Brawl

Coaches, Dads in Pee Wee Football Brawl, on Tape - The Early Show - CBS News
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 10:23pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
Sad.

But not surprising as we continue to see garbage like this... hope all of them were arrested, fined, and banned from coaching again.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 11:10pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,164
I saw this earlier. Just sad. I was telling someone today there was a time when kids would play in the back yard and have more fun then they are having today. Adults have just ruined all kids activities.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:38am
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,647
I was talking to my boss yesterday about youth football. Too many Dads think they're the next Vince Lombardi and their boy is the next Barry Sanders.

Recently I was working a youth set. The 6 year olds, (which didn't exist in "my day") , known as Pups, we don't work. The coaches stay on the field to "instruct" and officiate.

One of the home team administrators approached me and began to converse. He said he foresaw the day when they would have to hire a couple of us to work that game because the coaches begin to argue about penalties and such.
I told him that he didn't need to hire us, he just need to pull his pants up and remove any coach that can't understand the concept of their format. Park a couple in the stands, or better, the house, and the message will get across much faster and the league will save money.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Wait, the coaches aren't supposed to act like that?
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Worst part is that these kids, through no fault of their own, are now banned from post-season play. Stupid. Parents have already begged the league to let them play, and the kids had signs like an old-fashioned strike. To no avail.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 10:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Worst part is that these kids, through no fault of their own, are now banned from post-season play. Stupid. Parents have already begged the league to let them play, and the kids had signs like an old-fashioned strike. To no avail.
A great example that you can't out-stupid, stupid. There is a "Teaching Moment" here and that is that behaving badly has consequences, that often involves people who are not to blame, and consequences are not always "fair".

The parents who gave (or permitted their children) signs to parade around like an, "old-fashioed strike" are just as guilty (well maybe not quite) of teaching the wrong message to their children. Remember, football is a "Team" game where everyone is responsible for and dependent on their teammates, which in this regrettable situation, included some really misguided adults.

When ANY team member misbehaves, it reflects on and affects EVERY team member (which is why wnen ANY team member decides to act stupid, EVERY other team member should act to stop the stupidity.)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 12:59pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
One of the home team administrators approached me and began to converse. He said he foresaw the day when they would have to hire a couple of us to work that game because the coaches begin to argue about penalties and such.
I told him that he didn't need to hire us, he just need to pull his pants up and remove any coach that can't understand the concept of their format. Park a couple in the stands, or better, the house, and the message will get across much faster and the league will save money.
That's how it was for the youth league my former association in California services. They ended up hiring two officials for the youngest age group as a measure to babysit the coaches. Pretty sad really.

About this incident, no charges were filed and the coach that threw the cheap shot into the head of another coach is banned from the BAFL for life. A bunch of other coaches are banned for the rest of the season.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 02:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
A great example that you can't out-stupid, stupid. There is a "Teaching Moment" here and that is that behaving badly has consequences, that often involves people who are not to blame, and consequences are not always "fair".

The parents who gave (or permitted their children) signs to parade around like an, "old-fashioed strike" are just as guilty (well maybe not quite) of teaching the wrong message to their children. Remember, football is a "Team" game where everyone is responsible for and dependent on their teammates, which in this regrettable situation, included some really misguided adults.

When ANY team member misbehaves, it reflects on and affects EVERY team member (which is why wnen ANY team member decides to act stupid, EVERY other team member should act to stop the stupidity.)
I disagree wholeheartedly. Why is standing up for what you believe is right the wrong message? I see where you're going on team members acting to stop the stupidity of the other team members... but I think you're expecting way too much when you extend this to expecting children to try to stop adults (nevermind that they were put into a position of authority over these kids) from acting stupid. If kids were fighting, the whole team is at fault for not stopping it. But in this case, there's no way the kids are responsible for the stupidity of adults.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 463
Next question - what consequences is the league employing against the PARENTS who came out of the stands?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 06:01am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ah, the good ole days......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was telling someone today there was a time when kids would play in the back yard and have more fun then they are having today.
You must have grown up in my neighborhood!

And, unfortunately, as we all know, it's not just football where this bad behavior runs rampant.....sad.

Have some league officials take over the teams and let the kids play. Ban all the parents/coaches from attending..
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 02:38pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
You must have grown up in my neighborhood!
Or you are just old enough where you avoided a lot of that stuff like I did. When I was in 7th grade that was the first year we had organized tackle football in my little town.

Do not get me wrong there were leagues we could play, but not at the level that we you see today. Kids play a lot of these sports younger and play on teams that play other communities. My football league was made up of players in the same school. Four teams split up of kids that all knew each other. Now there is more of an "us against them" mentality in all these sports with Pop Warner, AAU, and travel ball in all these sports and these things are being used as a stepping stone to get scholarships and other opportunities to influence the high schools and even college programs. It is just sad that kids have so many things to do with these leagues they cannot just go play somewhere and solve their own problems and even create their own rules. We used to argue about rules all the time and it helped you grow and find ways to have reasonable conflict resolution. And instead of the adults just letting the kids play, adults have to solve all the problems. And there is no wonder when these kids get to college or become adults they cannot deal with a little bit of conflict and jump off of buildings as no one has prepared them to defend themselves or deal with conflict.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 60
I've found that pee wee coaches usually think their **** don't stink.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Base Brawl njdevs00cup Baseball 16 Thu May 28, 2009 10:16am
After the buzzer Brawl OHBBREF Basketball 4 Wed Feb 25, 2009 03:17pm
Basket-brawl Johnny Ringo Basketball 41 Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:30am
FIBA brawl Raymond Basketball 9 Fri Dec 08, 2006 08:09am
Another Brawl mikesears Basketball 2 Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:16pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1