The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pee Wee Coaches Brawl (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59207-pee-wee-coaches-brawl.html)

Larks Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:13pm

Pee Wee Coaches Brawl

Coaches, Dads in Pee Wee Football Brawl, on Tape - The Early Show - CBS News

tjones1 Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23pm

Sad.

But not surprising as we continue to see garbage like this... hope all of them were arrested, fined, and banned from coaching again.

JRutledge Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10pm

I saw this earlier. Just sad. I was telling someone today there was a time when kids would play in the back yard and have more fun then they are having today. Adults have just ruined all kids activities.

Peace

HLin NC Thu Sep 30, 2010 08:38am

I was talking to my boss yesterday about youth football. Too many Dads think they're the next Vince Lombardi and their boy is the next Barry Sanders.

Recently I was working a youth set. The 6 year olds, (which didn't exist in "my day") , known as Pups, we don't work. The coaches stay on the field to "instruct" and officiate.

One of the home team administrators approached me and began to converse. He said he foresaw the day when they would have to hire a couple of us to work that game because the coaches begin to argue about penalties and such.
I told him that he didn't need to hire us, he just need to pull his pants up and remove any coach that can't understand the concept of their format. Park a couple in the stands, or better, the house, and the message will get across much faster and the league will save money.

mbyron Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:12am

Wait, the coaches aren't supposed to act like that?

MD Longhorn Thu Sep 30, 2010 09:23am

Worst part is that these kids, through no fault of their own, are now banned from post-season play. Stupid. Parents have already begged the league to let them play, and the kids had signs like an old-fashioned strike. To no avail.

ajmc Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 694378)
Worst part is that these kids, through no fault of their own, are now banned from post-season play. Stupid. Parents have already begged the league to let them play, and the kids had signs like an old-fashioned strike. To no avail.

A great example that you can't out-stupid, stupid. There is a "Teaching Moment" here and that is that behaving badly has consequences, that often involves people who are not to blame, and consequences are not always "fair".

The parents who gave (or permitted their children) signs to parade around like an, "old-fashioed strike" are just as guilty (well maybe not quite) of teaching the wrong message to their children. Remember, football is a "Team" game where everyone is responsible for and dependent on their teammates, which in this regrettable situation, included some really misguided adults.

When ANY team member misbehaves, it reflects on and affects EVERY team member (which is why wnen ANY team member decides to act stupid, EVERY other team member should act to stop the stupidity.)

Welpe Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 694367)
One of the home team administrators approached me and began to converse. He said he foresaw the day when they would have to hire a couple of us to work that game because the coaches begin to argue about penalties and such.
I told him that he didn't need to hire us, he just need to pull his pants up and remove any coach that can't understand the concept of their format. Park a couple in the stands, or better, the house, and the message will get across much faster and the league will save money.

That's how it was for the youth league my former association in California services. They ended up hiring two officials for the youngest age group as a measure to babysit the coaches. Pretty sad really.

About this incident, no charges were filed and the coach that threw the cheap shot into the head of another coach is banned from the BAFL for life. A bunch of other coaches are banned for the rest of the season.

MD Longhorn Thu Sep 30, 2010 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 694393)
A great example that you can't out-stupid, stupid. There is a "Teaching Moment" here and that is that behaving badly has consequences, that often involves people who are not to blame, and consequences are not always "fair".

The parents who gave (or permitted their children) signs to parade around like an, "old-fashioed strike" are just as guilty (well maybe not quite) of teaching the wrong message to their children. Remember, football is a "Team" game where everyone is responsible for and dependent on their teammates, which in this regrettable situation, included some really misguided adults.

When ANY team member misbehaves, it reflects on and affects EVERY team member (which is why wnen ANY team member decides to act stupid, EVERY other team member should act to stop the stupidity.)

I disagree wholeheartedly. Why is standing up for what you believe is right the wrong message? I see where you're going on team members acting to stop the stupidity of the other team members... but I think you're expecting way too much when you extend this to expecting children to try to stop adults (nevermind that they were put into a position of authority over these kids) from acting stupid. If kids were fighting, the whole team is at fault for not stopping it. But in this case, there's no way the kids are responsible for the stupidity of adults.

The Roamin' Umpire Thu Sep 30, 2010 08:09pm

Next question - what consequences is the league employing against the PARENTS who came out of the stands?

grunewar Fri Oct 01, 2010 06:01am

Ah, the good ole days......

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 694344)
I was telling someone today there was a time when kids would play in the back yard and have more fun then they are having today.

You must have grown up in my neighborhood!

And, unfortunately, as we all know, it's not just football where this bad behavior runs rampant.....sad.

Have some league officials take over the teams and let the kids play. Ban all the parents/coaches from attending..

JRutledge Fri Oct 01, 2010 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 694516)
You must have grown up in my neighborhood!

Or you are just old enough where you avoided a lot of that stuff like I did. When I was in 7th grade that was the first year we had organized tackle football in my little town.

Do not get me wrong there were leagues we could play, but not at the level that we you see today. Kids play a lot of these sports younger and play on teams that play other communities. My football league was made up of players in the same school. Four teams split up of kids that all knew each other. Now there is more of an "us against them" mentality in all these sports with Pop Warner, AAU, and travel ball in all these sports and these things are being used as a stepping stone to get scholarships and other opportunities to influence the high schools and even college programs. It is just sad that kids have so many things to do with these leagues they cannot just go play somewhere and solve their own problems and even create their own rules. We used to argue about rules all the time and it helped you grow and find ways to have reasonable conflict resolution. And instead of the adults just letting the kids play, adults have to solve all the problems. And there is no wonder when these kids get to college or become adults they cannot deal with a little bit of conflict and jump off of buildings as no one has prepared them to defend themselves or deal with conflict.

Peace

Official Sat Oct 02, 2010 08:58pm

I've found that pee wee coaches usually think their **** don't stink.