The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

homer calls

...where "home" is a sideline. See replies 6 & 7 here.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Can you post the stuff here - we have to login and register to read this... and I don't wanna.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What ^ said.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

They have a prominent copyright notice, so I'll just write that in a thread about the risk of having discernible playcalling tendencies, one coach mentioned he'd heard from another that he called plays toward his own team's bench, because that way was far less likely to draw holding calls than the other sideline. Another coach said he'd noticed that too.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 09:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
They have a prominent copyright notice, so I'll just write that in a thread about the risk of having discernible playcalling tendencies, one coach mentioned he'd heard from another that he called plays toward his own team's bench, because that way was far less likely to draw holding calls than the other sideline. Another coach said he'd noticed that too.
There have been studies at the NBA level showing that the home team benefits from calls - both fouls and violations.

I can see the argument that there are less holding calls when plays are towards that team's bench.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 11:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

What a bunch of Huey...excuse me, hooey.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
There have been studies at the NBA level showing that the home team benefits from calls - both fouls and violations.

I can see the argument that there are less holding calls when plays are towards that team's bench.
Don't know about the NBA, or the so-called validity of the "studies" you reference, but to suggest there is some sort of preference given to the "home team" in any sport requires that there be a deliberate attempt, on the part of game officials, to favor one team over another.

That would also suggest that there be some level of expectation, and associated pressure exerted by each "home team" to receive some level of preferential treatment, as well as an acceptance of such behavior by, whatever league or conference, was managing the contest.

Those, with actual officiating experience, understand that responding to game situations under game conditions is largely an instinctive reaction to what is observed based on repetitive training that to a large degree blanks out sounds and circumstances aside from the focus of attention. Other than mentally confirming what has been seen, or not seen, there is not a lot of analysis of which team, other than differentiating between offense and defense, is doing what.

Off the cuff comments by sideline observers, who have a distinct interest on decisions that are made during a contest, have the same level of validity as comments directed at a hammer, made by a carpenter who has just smashed his finger afixing a nail.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
Once we start the game, and actually before the game when everyone is warming up and we are meeting the coaches, game management staff, etc. I have no problem being objective.

Home and visitor mean nothing. Coaches on both sides are going to try and push their views on a play, penalty, or perceived penalty, etc. It's there or it's not, and I don't care what side of the field or bench we are in front of.

Some of these "objective" tests try to identify tendencies for teams, and officials, cheerleaders, parents, mascots, you name it. Do they have any validity? I doubt it.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

I read a study that examined the effect of direction of play, that is play proceeding to the official's right as opposed to play proceeding to the official's left, on the official's perception of fouls. While I have some concerns about how the study was conducted (the subjects were college students as opposed to licensed officials), what they did was take pictures of soccer challenges and presented them to the subjects. They also included mirror images of the pictures to make it appear that play was moving in the opposite direction.

What the study found was that we tend to penalize plays moving to the right more often than we penalize the same play moving to the left.

What the coaches may be noticing is our subconscious bias to not penalize plays moving toward that sideline. Since it has to do with movement in a particular direction, both teams can take advantage of it.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 06:56am
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot read the information that was linked as it makes me require a membership first.

I have always understood when you do these kinds of studies you have to first understand what you are studying. Many times when there are these studies about officiating, it seems clear that there is a complete lack of understanding of officiating. They are looking for some magic bullet to find bias in something that does not inherently have bias.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot read the information that was linked as it makes me require a membership first.

I have always understood when you do these kinds of studies you have to first understand what you are studying. Many times when there are these studies about officiating, it seems clear that there is a complete lack of understanding of officiating. They are looking for some magic bullet to find bias in something that does not inherently have bias.

Peace
That's a definite danger, and like I said the thing that bothers me is they used students and not referees in the study (although they did require they pass a rules test). But it is instructive to know that humans in general have a directional bias. Do we, as officials have enough training and experience to overcome that bias? I think we'd all like to answer yes but it can be hard to tell for sure.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 07:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
That's a definite danger, and like I said the thing that bothers me is they used students and not referees in the study (although they did require they pass a rules test). But it is instructive to know that humans in general have a directional bias. Do we, as officials have enough training and experience to overcome that bias? I think we'd all like to answer yes but it can be hard to tell for sure.
Well that is worse. If you are using students and not people that do this on a regular basis, that cannot be a very good study if you are trying to show how this relates to officiating across the board.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Don't know about the NBA, or the so-called validity of the "studies" you reference, but to suggest there is some sort of preference given to the "home team" in any sport requires that there be a deliberate attempt, on the part of game officials, to favor one team over another.
Wrong. No, it doesn't require a deliberate attempt of any of that you suggest. People are humans, and as such are suspect subconscious actions.

Quote:
That would also suggest that there be some level of expectation, and associated pressure exerted by each "home team" to receive some level of preferential treatment, as well as an acceptance of such behavior by, whatever league or conference, was managing the contest.
Wrong. I bet every coach that I know well enough to initiate this conversation with would say without a doubt that they DO NOT WANT preferential treatment.

Quote:
Those, with actual officiating experience, understand that responding to game situations under game conditions is largely an instinctive reaction to what is observed based on repetitive training that to a large degree blanks out sounds and circumstances aside from the focus of attention. Other than mentally confirming what has been seen, or not seen, there is not a lot of analysis of which team, other than differentiating between offense and defense, is doing what.
I will agree that more experienced officials will not be affected by teams. In other words, I do agree that part of the growing process an official goes through is to be consistent and that it's plausible that some officials will lean towards not throwing a flag against a team when on that sideline.

Off the cuff comments by sideline observers, who have a distinct interest on decisions that are made during a contest, have the same level of validity as comments directed at a hammer, made by a carpenter who has just smashed his finger afixing a nail.[/QUOTE]

Cute analogy and I agree re: the validity you mention surrounding this claim, but since the hammer doesn't have free will, and humans do, these off the cuff comments are not 100% ineffective.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Wrong. No, it doesn't require a deliberate attempt of any of that you suggest. People are humans, and as such are suspect subconscious actions.

Wrong. I bet every coach that I know well enough to initiate this conversation with would say without a doubt that they DO NOT WANT preferential treatment.

I will agree that more experienced officials will not be affected by teams. In other words, I do agree that part of the growing process an official goes through is to be consistent and that it's plausible that some officials will lean towards not throwing a flag against a team when on that sideline.

Off the cuff comments by sideline observers, who have a distinct interest on decisions that are made during a contest, have the same level of validity as comments directed at a hammer, made by a carpenter who has just smashed his finger afixing a nail.
Cute analogy and I agree re: the validity you mention surrounding this claim, but since the hammer doesn't have free will, and humans do, these off the cuff comments are not 100% ineffective.[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point. The coaches are saying that they notice few holds on plays run towards their sidelines, not few holds against the home team.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

In any social science which this would be based on, the only way to have the information validated you have to do more than just one study. Also if the one of the ideas is that officials call more things based on direction, what about the officials in the middle of the field that never change their perspective? For me to buy into what the findings were, I would need to see more studies done with similar methodology and over a longer period of time.

Peace