The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Bluntly, what do you folks who live in Homer-land do if you suspect your partner really is a Homer? Hypothetically speaking, of course. What if it really seems pretty obvious, even before someone from the stands starts yelling? Do you discuss it? There isn't a good way to "correct" for this, is there?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 07:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Bluntly, what do you folks who live in Homer-land do if you suspect your partner really is a Homer? Hypothetically speaking, of course. What if it really seems pretty obvious, even before someone from the stands starts yelling? Do you discuss it? There isn't a good way to "correct" for this, is there?
Don't say a word.
Get in. Get done. Get out.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Exactly. Nothing to do here. Notice most guys on this board even avoided the question. Because, we don't like to think it happens, and obviously, we know it shouldn't happen. But, if it does, there is nothing, IMHO, that can be done without bringing bad light on yourself. Just get past it.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, it's a deal...
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

What our scheduler does is this. He will not schedule games for the town that you live in. That way the problem would not exist.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Geez, I thought maybe we were talking about Homer-sexuals...

(Sorry, I watch The Simpsons way too much.)
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

As officials we are obligated to make the right call at the right time for the right reason. I have had many coaches say they were glad to see me show up to work their games because they know they are going to get a fair shake regardless if they are the home or visiting team. Stay your course; stay above your partner's behavior and dont do the single worse thing imanigable: try to even things out.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

One of the nicest things (actually, the only nice thing) a coach has ever said to me was at a "home" game a few years ago. When "our" coach walked into the gym and saw that I was refereeing his fairly loud response was:

"F@#% why do we have to get you as a referee?"

My first instinct was T before the start of the game - but as soon as I looked at him he said:

"I mean, when we go away the opposition gets a home court advantage, but when you ref, it's fair for both teams! That can't be fair!"

I later learnt that several of my association's coaches felt the same way about having me referee

(In this competition, the home association provides both referees)

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 04:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - first of all, email me and tell me who it is

Second, as you well know, you just have to call your game and resist the temptation to compensate.

Eventually, word will get around and it will become Howard's problem

As I've said before, this would never happen in a game we would work together because I despise all coaches equally.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I despise all coaches equally.
Mark, maybe you could get along better with them if you treated them with a little more respect. Like by bringing a banana to their cage before the game.

Chuck
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Talking

ouch, zing, doing!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Had a wierd situation yesterday. I was sent by my assingor to officiate a game way up north, hour and a half drive.. the longest trip we have to make in our association. So, i'm a first year college student, i was done school around 1 in the afternoon, left around 1:45 for a 3:30 game. Got there at 10 after 3, and i look and see who is coming out of the change room? My alma mater. I had played for this coach for 4 years. Some of my "friends" or former teamates were playing as well.So then i'm waiting for my partner, i was told he'd be a little late. We've worked together b4, no need for a really indepth pregame. The team i played for was expected to pound the other team, the laughing stalk of the league. So my partner gets there, and me not thinking.. This guy lives in bancroft, and taught probably 80% of these kids, as well as coaching them. And since he lives there, he saves the school travel $$4 and does all there games.

So there, we were even for that game

TR
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
. We've worked together b4, no need for a really indepth pregame.
TR [/B]
moose,

Since you are a young official, you need to break this bad habit while you still can. You always SHOULD try to have an extensive pregame. I realize, especially at the subvarsity level, where the games start when most normal people are still at work, that an extensive pregame is many times not possible. But just because you have worked together before is not a good reason to not talk about things.

You may vary what you talk about from pregame to pregame. It does not always have to be the same ole stuff. One day you may talk about court coverages, another day you may talk about administrative things in more depth.

If you get in the habit of....we have worked together, let's just do it the same way we did it last time...then you are setting yourself up for a potential bad situation somewhere down the line.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
Had a wierd situation yesterday. I was sent by my assingor to officiate a game way up north, hour and a half drive.. the longest trip we have to make in our association. So, i'm a first year college student, i was done school around 1 in the afternoon, left around 1:45 for a 3:30 game. Got there at 10 after 3, and i look and see who is coming out of the change room? My alma mater. I had played for this coach for 4 years. Some of my "friends" or former teamates were playing as well.So then i'm waiting for my partner, i was told he'd be a little late. We've worked together b4, no need for a really indepth pregame. The team i played for was expected to pound the other team, the laughing stalk of the league. So my partner gets there, and me not thinking.. This guy lives in bancroft, and taught probably 80% of these kids, as well as coaching them. And since he lives there, he saves the school travel $$4 and does all there games.

So there, we were even for that game

TR
Hey, Moose, how do you balance officiating with being in college? It's my first year, too, but I'm out of state (sorry, out of province for you ) and don't have a car, so I haven't started officiating local HS games yet.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
I know i should try to have pregames. it's something that my assocation dosen't strictly enforce which makes me mad, our all of us who officiate at the provincial level in my association i should say, but when this partner of mine shows up 2 mins after sched starting time, am i suppose to hold back the toss? it was threw no fault of his own that he was late, as i said he is the "residndt" offical at the school andcan only get there as soon as work permits, which my association and all the schools know comign into the game, that it wll be a 3:45, not a 3:30 start.

mark, as to your question a few things going in my favour.,
I live at home= car
Great assignor.
early school schedule. latest i was done last semester was 4. earliest most of our games start is 5. no problem for in town games.

i do run into difficulty when it comes to my other commitments. i work 2 jobs, as a server at boston's and i'm a radio announcer/producer. So obviously, the girl friend just had to go

Happy holiday, moose