Thread: homer calls
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Wrong. No, it doesn't require a deliberate attempt of any of that you suggest. People are humans, and as such are suspect subconscious actions.

Wrong. I bet every coach that I know well enough to initiate this conversation with would say without a doubt that they DO NOT WANT preferential treatment.

I will agree that more experienced officials will not be affected by teams. In other words, I do agree that part of the growing process an official goes through is to be consistent and that it's plausible that some officials will lean towards not throwing a flag against a team when on that sideline.

Off the cuff comments by sideline observers, who have a distinct interest on decisions that are made during a contest, have the same level of validity as comments directed at a hammer, made by a carpenter who has just smashed his finger afixing a nail.
Cute analogy and I agree re: the validity you mention surrounding this claim, but since the hammer doesn't have free will, and humans do, these off the cuff comments are not 100% ineffective.[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point. The coaches are saying that they notice few holds on plays run towards their sidelines, not few holds against the home team.