The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Newbie chain clip question

I'm a new official and have a quick question (I hope).

I understand the reasoning behind clipping the chain. I also understand that it's standard practice to clip the chain on the back of the 5-yard line closest to the back stake (farthest away from the line-to-gain).

My question is, who keeps up with which yard line the chain is clipped at? Does the linesman write this down at the beginning of every new series, or is this duty given to the box (or clip) man?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Huh? What are you needing to write down or keep track of? You lost me.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

If the stakes were accidentally moved, wouldn't you have to know the yard line where the chain was clipped if you needed to return the stakes to their previous positions?

I guess I should clarify my reason for asking: Some fellow officials suggested making your own clip instead of purchasing a clip with a yard line indicator on it (like the disc or slider types). There reasoning was that the linesman doesn't have time to be twisting the dial every time the chains move. But if the clip doesn't have a mechanism for recording which yard line it was on, then someone has to keep up with that.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 04:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

The linesman isn't responsible for working with the clip. That is the responsibility of the chain crew.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

So do most of you guys use the disc or slider style clip and have the clip man change it each time the chain is clipped for a new series?

Anyone using a homemade variation?
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I use a homemade version of the chain clip (i.e., a double-sided pet lead clip with a washer through the other end for weight). The chain crew guy in charge of the clip and I use our extensive memories to remember what yard line was clipped.

... Now, where'd I put my rule book? ...
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Whoever sets the clip should be keeping up with that. Of course it's still the HL's responsibility to know where it is anyway in the event you allow the chains to move before they are supposed to move.

As for which type I use, I like the slider. Once had someone step on the plastic disc and broke it. Hard to break fabric.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I work HL & have the chain crew use a 2 clip system. Keep the orginal clip on until the next play after you've moved the chains. When using 2 clips, I have one of each. That way I can take a quick look back & see if they are doing it & if the chains get moved, we'll know which one to go back to.

At sub-varsity level, I only use one & hope we have crew that will use it & stay with us.

Last edited by FBullock; Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 06:33am.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

I'm on the same page as Mike L. Nowadays I prefer the fabric clip with the slider as I too have had a plastic disk type trodden on and broken. I like to carry a spare lightweight home-made clip just in case. I bought the cheapest doglead I could find and simply cut off the clip part, discarded the rest of the lead.

A related tip I would give you about working the HL position is about zip ties.

I have my local area guys carry a zip tie for emergency chain repair. I keep one inside the band of every one of my hats. I might forget to put a zip tie in my pocket, but I'm unlikely to forget my hat!

Maybe once a season you'll have a chain set break on you. Panic ensues....
You walk up and fix it in seconds with a zip tie.

In addition, I use a coloured zip tie (I find that yellow is the most visible) for the halfway mark on the chain as atletic tape can get dirty and be less visible. That way the HL can let your White Hat know before the snap whether we are short - i.e. 5yd penalty marched against the D gives us a new 1st down or long (5 ain't enough).
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 08:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Great suggestion about the colored zip ties, Two Flakes. I got that tip from you a couple of years ago and picked up a set of neon zip ties. They work really well.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 10:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
In addition, I use a coloured zip tie (I find that yellow is the most visible) for the halfway mark on the chain as atletic tape can get dirty and be less visible. That way the HL can let your White Hat know before the snap whether we are short - i.e. 5yd penalty marched against the D gives us a new 1st down or long (5 ain't enough).
Consider the idea of using a coloured cable tie stolen.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Great suggestion about the colored zip ties, Two Flakes. I got that tip from you a couple of years ago and picked up a set of neon zip ties. They work really well.
Our HL uses a neon yellow or pink electrical tape rather than athletic tape. Works just as well and we are usually covering someone else's athletic tape.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 12:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Our HL uses a neon yellow or pink electrical tape rather than athletic tape. Works just as well and we are usually covering someone else's athletic tape.
I like that too.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Consider the idea of using a coloured cable tie stolen.
That slight disagreement we had about the tea is long forgotten, so happy to help out our American cousins across the pond.....
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I carry a small piece of bright yellow & a piece of red electrical tape on the vynil folder I keep my penalty card in. We have some chains that are orange & I'll use the red tape on those. I have options. It's a great conversation starter with the chain crew as well.

Last edited by FBullock; Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 03:13pm.