The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 29, 2001, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Smile

Hi - My name is Dave, and I'm an officialaholic. Ha ha - just kidding, but I officiate Soccer, Swimming/Diving, and just got my card in basketball from the PIAA. I am curious as to what advice veteran basketball officials have for someone like me. I have been officiating for approximately 3 years now, so I understand (but of course have plenty of room for improvement in...) things like game control, and I know from reffing an intramural league (which was where I got the interest in doing basketball also) at the school I teach at, that the players and crowds are much less forgiving in basketball vs the other two sports I officiate. Then again, in Soccer, they are really far away from you most of the time, and in Swimming, well, most people just don't get all fired up and start complaining to the refs during this one!

But again, any little advice? I will be doing my first "outside of the kids I teach" games in about 2 weeks, and would like any insight any of you are willing to offer.

Thanks in advance!
Old Fri Jun 29, 2001, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just start reading posts, Dave. There's a wealth of information here, probably more than you could learn in 20 rule clinics. There's plenty of posts where the same question that you've asked has been answered over and over again. Read, read, read!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith