The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question re illegal forward pass

I'm a fan here, and I tried to find the answer in the rule book at ncaa.org, but I must not be looking in the right place:

If on 4th down, the QB crosses the line of scrimmage and throws an illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage and the pass is caught for a first down, I know that the defense will have to accept the penalty because declining it would result in a first down. So, when they accept it, is the 5 yards marked off from the spot of the pass and then the possession goes over to the other team five yards from the spot of the pass?

(B) If this is the case, what if after the five yards is marked off, the ball is still past the line to gain?

(C) If the QB passes beyond the line of scrimmage on a 2 point conversion and it's caught for an apparnet successful two point conversion, is the try simply no good and we kickoff?

Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
I'm a fan here, and I tried to find the answer in the rule book at ncaa.org, but I must not be looking in the right place:
Dont beat yourself up about it, I've been working NCA Rules for 20+ years and I still struggle to find the right place to look sometimes

Quote:
.....when they accept it, is the 5 yards marked off from the spot of the pass
Yes, 7-3-2 says the penalty for that type of illegal forward pass is 5yds from the spot of the foul plus loss of down.

Quote:
(B) If this is the case, what if after the five yards is marked off, the ball is still past the line to gain?
Then they get a new first down. It might help to think of "Loss of Down" as shorthand for "loss of the right to repeat a down after the penalty yardage has been marched". In your scenario, they don't need the right to repeat the down as they made enough yards (even after the foul) to move the chains.

To help make penalty enforcement on fouls by Team A make sense is to think of it like this....
1st and 10 from midfield. A player makes a great run to the 5yd line where he is tackled. His teammate held someone at the 10yd line.

It would be a harsh penalty indeed if we went all the way back to the neutral zone and marched the 10yd holding from there. The guy made 40 yds honestly. The hold at the 10 likely only affected the yards made from the 10 to the 5. So we march the holding penalty from the flag at the 10, back to the 20. That is still enough for a 1st down so they get a new 1st and 10.

Quote:
(C) If the QB passes beyond the line of scrimmage on a 2 point conversion and it's caught for an apparnet successful two point conversion, is the try simply no good and we kickoff?
You are correct. Rule 8-3-3-c-2 says:-
"If Team A commits a foul for which the penalty includes loss of down, the try is over, and the score is cancelled, and no yardage penalty is assessed on the succeeding kickoff. "
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
To help make penalty enforcement on fouls by Team A make sense is to think of it like this....
1st and 10 from midfield. A player makes a great run to the 5yd line where he is tackled. His teammate held someone at the 10yd line.

It would be a harsh penalty indeed if we went all the way back to the neutral zone and marched the 10yd holding from there. The guy made 40 yds honestly. The hold at the 10 likely only affected the yards made from the 10 to the 5. So we march the holding penalty from the flag at the 10, back to the 20. That is still enough for a 1st down so they get a new 1st and 10.
You know what would make even more sense? March the penalty from where the ball was when the hold occurred. After all that is how much yardage was obtained prior to the illegal act and so that is what the player should get credit for.

This is what we do in Canada. We use the concept of Point Ball Held to determine the point of application in this situation.

Mind you, finding Point Ball Held is harder than establishing Point of Foul so sometimes I do envy the simplicity of Point of Foul.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 03:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcfoa43 View Post
You know what would make even more sense? March the penalty from where the ball was when the hold occurred.
That's exactly what happens in Two Flake's play. Using the 3 and 1 Principle, the foul is behind the end of the run so we enforce from the spot of the foul. If the foul were in advance of the end of the run, we would enforce from the end of the run.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's exactly what happens in Two Flake's play. Using the 3 and 1 Principle, the foul is behind the end of the run so we enforce from the spot of the foul. If the foul were in advance of the end of the run, we would enforce from the end of the run.
The Two Flakes play said nothing of where the BALL was when the hold occurred. This is not the same place as where the FOUL is (though in some cases it could be.)

The difference is illustrated in two examples:

1. Ball is at the Team B 25 yard line when the hold occurs at the 20. End of run is the 5.
- In Canada we would enforce from the 25
- In the U.S. you would enforce from the 20.
- In this case, we believe you give 5 yards too many from what the team earned prior to the foul.

2. Ball is at the Team B 15 yard line when the hold occurs at the 20. End of the run is the 5.
- In Canada we would enforce from the 15
- In the U.S. you would enforce from the 20.
- In this case, we believe you give 5 yards too few from what the team earned prior to the foul.

Last edited by wwcfoa43; Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 03:49pm.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 04:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcfoa43 View Post
The Two Flakes play said nothing of where the BALL was when the hold occurred. This is not the same place as where the FOUL is (though in some cases it could be.)
You are correct, I misread your post. My apologies.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Why there needs to be a distance penalty for illegal forward pass is (ahem) beyond me. It's an easy enough foul to detect, it's not like you have to make up for them getting away with it occasionally.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Why there needs to be a distance penalty for illegal forward pass is (ahem) beyond me. It's an easy enough foul to detect, it's not like you have to make up for them getting away with it occasionally.
What's your suggestion? - ignoring the penalty yardage?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
What's your suggestion? - ignoring the penalty yardage?
Not ignoring it, abolishing it. Loss of down at the basic spot.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doesn't removing the distance penalty eliminate ALL of the risk in attempting an illegal pass? Clearly, since it's an illegal pass treating it as simply incomplete (Loss of down at the basic spot) offers NO consequence for trying it.

As an example, has the idea of establishing the "tackle box" (in relation to "dumping" a pass) reduced, or increased, the volume of passes dumped? I would suggest the removal of a yardage penalty would similarly increase the frequency of attempted illegal passes.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Doesn't removing the distance penalty eliminate ALL of the risk in attempting an illegal pass? Clearly, since it's an illegal pass treating it as simply incomplete (Loss of down at the basic spot) offers NO consequence for trying it.
Depending on the type of illegal pass, there shouldn't need to be add'l consequences for "trying" them. I'm referring to those types of illegal forward pass which are not intentional grounding, as in the case that started this thread. Since they're so easily detected, there doesn't need to be any disincentive for trying them. Nobody does them intentionally; they're done when the passer is either attempting a backward pass that goes forward, or doesn't realize the conditions for a legal forward pass haven't been met.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depending on the type of illegal pass, there shouldn't need to be add'l consequences for "trying" them. I'm referring to those types of illegal forward pass which are not intentional grounding, as in the case that started this thread. Since they're so easily detected, there doesn't need to be any disincentive for trying them. Nobody does them intentionally; they're done when the passer is either attempting a backward pass that goes forward, or doesn't realize the conditions for a legal forward pass haven't been met.
There is an incentive - to possibly avoid getting tackled and/or being at risk for coughing up the ball. A player could conceivably run full sprint not properly securing the ball, but prepared to toss it forward if there's a possibility of a tackle that could create a fumble. It's the onus of the ball carrier to known when or when it is not safe to throw a forward pass or for the ball to be properly thrown backwards.

There's also this type of illegal forward pass:

YouTube - Nick Foles boneheaded play, Shane Vereen TD
Old Fri Jun 25, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Honestly, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Forgive me Robert, but I have never accepted the logic, nor agree with the reasons for the legal "dumping" at the collegiate level, and hold out a glimmer of hope that rule will someday be recinded. I like the HS version a lot better where a team, who decides to throw a forward pass is limited to only 2 options; either attempt the pass or run with the ball. There's no "freebes" allowing the passer to legally "dump" the ball, when neither of the other 2 options appear reasonable (aside from a "spike").

When the offense decides to pass, and the defense reacts so well that the offense is afraid to pass and doesn't want to run, why let them off the hook by simply dumping the pass? It's certainly not fair to the defense.