The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I believe it's very close to being an illegal block and the ball being out of the FBZ. From the angle we have on the video, we can't be 100 %. I think any opportunity we have a player that's close to fouling and we see it, we let them know that we saw the play are watching them. This guy probably watches a lot of plays on TV on Saturday & Sunday in which no matter where the ball is the "cut block" is legal. The don't know the difference. This is also a potential safty concern which is another reason to talk to the player.

This is my opinion an some won't agree with it. Do what works for you. I'm not coaching but I'm letting them know that I watching.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This sounds like a mechanical difference, but not in our state's mechanics. The key for the wing would be the receiver or inside receiver based on the strength of the formation. I believe in this play the Referee had this "key" based on the formation and the QB's arm. Then again this might be different based on other mechanics. I just know the wing likely does not have this block initially, but then again after the ball is snapped, then we move on to other things.

Peace
Unless the receivers you mentioned are pressed, you should key on the T at least to read pass/run. If you only watch your receiver(s) (sometimes 2 with 5-man) and they aren't pressed, you are officiating air. With 5-man mechanics, the Ts are often left unwatched and can get away with more than others. I've always been taught my wing officials much smarter than me to watch the Ts initial block as often as you can.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Unless the receivers you mentioned are pressed, you should key on the T at least to read pass/run. If you only watch your receiver(s) (sometimes 2 with 5-man) and they aren't pressed, you are officiating air. With 5-man mechanics, the Ts are often left unwatched and can get away with more than others. I've always been taught my wing officials much smarter than me to watch the Ts initial block as often as you can.
All I am saying is there is a mechanical difference. I feel the wing can pick this up, but as it relates to the key that is not their responsibility. I will say this again, a "key" is only a very brief look at the initial movement of a player to read the run or the pass. After you realize what the offense is doing, you go to other things. You cannot stay with "keys" very long in 5 or 4 man mechanics. Based on the play it looks legal, but the angle does not disprove or support exactly where the ball is which would be the determining factor.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Why a talk-to on a legal block? The ball isn't close to being out of the FBZ. Legal block.
+1

That's like scolding a cornerback because he almost hit the receiver early.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
+1

That's like scolding a cornerback because he almost hit the receiver early.
It's not scolding, it's preventative officiating. If they do a good job of avoiding a late hit OB or piling on,etc., you let them know that as well. Field presents and communications with the players is what I'm talking about.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBullock View Post
It's not scolding, it's preventative officiating. If they do a good job of avoiding a late hit OB or piling on,etc., you let them know that as well. Field presents and communications with the players is what I'm talking about.
Every legal play avoids a late hit. I don't believe that you compliment players after every legal play.

Preventive officiating is an intervention before a foul is about to be committed, especially USC. On legal plays, no preventive officiating is required. Red herring.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say I complimented them on every play.

If you work the LOS, do you talk to your tackle if he's started to easy back and getting close to being in the backfield to get him refocused and back up on the LOS? Same thing with D-lineman if they are crowding the line & getting close.

I talk to the players. If have a tackle easing back, we work with him to stay on the LOS. If he does a good job of staying up, I tell he's doing a good job of staying up and to keep up the good work. Most players & coaches appreciate this.

I see this as being the same. While we can agree that in the video play, we probably won't call the cut block a foul, it's close. I've been taught over the years & am a strong believer in communications with players and coaches. We are not out there to just throw flags but to manage the game in fair manner.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I like to communciate as well for good plays. It especially comes in handy when I have previously warned a player who came close to drawing a flag for holding. On the next play he has a good block I let him know. This is preventive officiating on a legal block because he has now learned what a good block is verses his "other" block that nearly drew a flag.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

In NYS Section V, I may be more inclined to call this a cut block. We are taught that any block below the waist must meet the following criteria: 1) The blocker and defender must be on the line at the time of the snap 2) The ball must still be in the FBZ (if this play was shotgun form, we'd say the zone disintegrates at the snap), and 3) any block below the waist must be on the initial charge, i.e. simultaneous with the snap. I have two issues with this play: 1) I may argue that the ball was out of the FBZ. While hard to tell at this angle, we must remember that the FBZ is only 4 yards to either side of the ball and 3 yards fore and aft of the ball's points. Since the QB is already a yard off the ball at the time of the snap, it stands to reason that after 2 steps back the zone disintegrates. My second issue is that the T's initial charge was backwards, not initially below the waist, which may catch my attention as a wing. Based on those two observations, I believe this to be an illegal block.
Rochester, NY
Old Sat Jul 10, 2010, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochesterRef View Post
In NYS Section V, I may be more inclined to call this a cut block.
What is a "cut block?" Since when did that become illegal?

Quote:
Based on those two observations, I believe this to be an illegal block.
I ask a couple of things every time I watch tape.

Was the official or officials in position? Based on the tape and what I know the answer is clearly yes based on other tape I have and memory of the game and play.

Does the tape clearly show the officials was right or wrong? I would say no. I cannot tell based on this angle anything other than a block.

We all will have to be put in situations where we have to make a judgment based on what we know. I agree that is block might be close, but if it is close I do not believe calling it.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 03:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
In NYS Section V, I may be more inclined to call this a cut block. We are taught that any block below the waist must meet the following criteria: 1) The blocker and defender must be on the line at the time of the snap 2) The ball must still be in the FBZ (if this play was shotgun form, we'd say the zone disintegrates at the snap), and 3) any block below the waist must be on the initial charge, i.e. simultaneous with the snap. I have two issues with this play: 1) I may argue that the ball was out of the FBZ. While hard to tell at this angle, we must remember that the FBZ is only 4 yards to either side of the ball and 3 yards fore and aft of the ball's points. Since the QB is already a yard off the ball at the time of the snap, it stands to reason that after 2 steps back the zone disintegrates. My second issue is that the T's initial charge was backwards, not initially below the waist, which may catch my attention as a wing. Based on those two observations, I believe this to be an illegal block.
Your #3 is a rule of thumb for a shotgun formation. It is not a foul to delay-block below the waist in a hand-to-hand snap if the ball is still in the FBZ.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Your #3 is a rule of thumb for a shotgun formation. It is not a foul to delay-block below the waist in a hand-to-hand snap if the ball is still in the FBZ.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with that block.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Great call on the short of the goal line JRut. Also, great get on the PF late hit. I'd take you as my Back Judge any day.