View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 10, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

In NYS Section V, I may be more inclined to call this a cut block. We are taught that any block below the waist must meet the following criteria: 1) The blocker and defender must be on the line at the time of the snap 2) The ball must still be in the FBZ (if this play was shotgun form, we'd say the zone disintegrates at the snap), and 3) any block below the waist must be on the initial charge, i.e. simultaneous with the snap. I have two issues with this play: 1) I may argue that the ball was out of the FBZ. While hard to tell at this angle, we must remember that the FBZ is only 4 yards to either side of the ball and 3 yards fore and aft of the ball's points. Since the QB is already a yard off the ball at the time of the snap, it stands to reason that after 2 steps back the zone disintegrates. My second issue is that the T's initial charge was backwards, not initially below the waist, which may catch my attention as a wing. Based on those two observations, I believe this to be an illegal block.
Rochester, NY