The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Video of a call I finally got right!!!

This tape was from a couple of years ago, but it is nice to have play show you got it right.

This was a semi-final I worked a couple of years ago the year I worked the State Final. I was looking for the video production of this game and I saw this.

At the :43 second mark the play starts and I am the BJ that makes the call on the goal line. It appears I got it right as the video shows and the commentator says.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recrui...ard-West-43844

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Jun 30, 2010 at 02:39pm.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

How does one find the video? I see no attachment or link here.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
How does one find the video? I see no attachment or link here.
Fixed it.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 03:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Good call. What the heck was your umpire doing?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Good call. What the heck was your umpire doing?
What do you mean?

Peace
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 04:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

He came up behind you looking lost before finally repeating your stop the clock signal...while standing right behind you. It just looked weird.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 04:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
He came up behind you looking lost before finally repeating your stop the clock signal...while standing right behind you. It just looked weird.
Well I was right behind him on the play. The ball started on the 11 and in our mechanics the BJ starts on the goal line outside the 10 unless players dictate, because the BJ has the goal line. All I remember is that he was conferring with me about the catch and when it was clear I had him short, he mirrored like we all do.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

At about the 3:25 mark of this video. The score is tied 20-20. And there is a kickoff return. I'm curious if there was a flag on this play for a dead-ball personal foul. It looks to me like this guy get creamed after he was clearly OOB. I didn't see any flags flying. But I suppose there could've been some. I'm just curious, thats all.

Also, on the very same play where you ruled the player short of the goal line. What does everyone think about that block by #66. Has the ball left the zone yet? If they had been in shotgun formation, I'd say for certain that this block was illegal. The block was certainly delayed. But I do think maybe the ball was still in the freeblocking zone. And I think if there is doubt about that, then you have to leave that alone. But its close! Good call on the guy being down short of the goal. No doubt about that one.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree you got the call correct but who was looking at the left tackle on that play. (They put the box on him.) Looks like he stands up then cuts the defensive lineman. In college that's legal but blocking below the waist in HS is not allowed. Who should have been looking at that?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 11:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

There are certain circumstances in Federation rules where blocking below the waist is legal. One of them is on a scrimmage down, a lineman may block another below the waist if both were in the free blocking zone at the snap, the block was in the free blocking zone and the ball was in the free blocking zone.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 04:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee View Post
At about the 3:25 mark of this video. The score is tied 20-20. And there is a kickoff return. I'm curious if there was a flag on this play for a dead-ball personal foul. It looks to me like this guy get creamed after he was clearly OOB. I didn't see any flags flying. But I suppose there could've been some. I'm just curious, thats all.
Yes there was a flag on this play for a late hit. I was the one that called it as that was my sideline for the kickoff. Until I saw this video, I was not 100% sure I got it right after the fact. There was a TV feed of this game on Comcast SportsNet Chicago Live, but the TV feed did not confirm the call as they only showed an across the field view. This angle proves I got this right too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee View Post
Also, on the very same play where you ruled the player short of the goal line. What does everyone think about that block by #66. Has the ball left the zone yet? If they had been in shotgun formation, I'd say for certain that this block was illegal. The block was certainly delayed. But I do think maybe the ball was still in the freeblocking zone. And I think if there is doubt about that, then you have to leave that alone. But its close! Good call on the guy being down short of the goal. No doubt about that one.
I noticed the same thing. But considering the kind of play with a short drop and it is hard to tell, I would have likely let that go too based on the angle.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are certain circumstances in Federation rules where blocking below the waist is legal. One of them is on a scrimmage down, a lineman may block another below the waist if both were in the free blocking zone at the snap, the block was in the free blocking zone and the ball was in the free blocking zone.
I agree that in certain situations, as you say it's legal to block below the waist. This play is border line, as other also stated, as to being legal. My question was, did anyone on the crew see it. It's probably a pass but definetly a talk-to with be player/coach. It's also a great play to discuss (as we are doing here) both from a rules and mechanics situation.

Looks like you guys had a great game & had it covered.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBullock View Post
I agree you got the call correct but who was looking at the left tackle on that play. (They put the box on him.) Looks like he stands up then cuts the defensive lineman. In college that's legal but blocking below the waist in HS is not allowed. Who should have been looking at that?
In 5-man mechanics, the wing on that side of the field would have an initial key on that but it's very possible he left his key before the block and could have missed it. I agree with other comments that this is not a foul because the ball is still in the FBZ and both players are on the LOS at the snap. But this is close enough that I talk to him if I see it. If you watched the rest of the video you find out this guy was recruited by Notre Dame and he's currently a sophomore on their roster.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 09:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
In 5-man mechanics, the wing on that side of the field would have an initial key on that but it's very possible he left his key before the block and could have missed it. I agree with other comments that this is not a foul because the ball is still in the FBZ and both players are on the LOS at the snap. But this is close enough that I talk to him if I see it. If you watched the rest of the video you find out this guy was recruited by Notre Dame and he's currently a sophomore on their roster.
This sounds like a mechanical difference, but not in our state's mechanics. The key for the wing would be the receiver or inside receiver based on the strength of the formation. I believe in this play the Referee had this "key" based on the formation and the QB's arm. Then again this might be different based on other mechanics. I just know the wing likely does not have this block initially, but then again after the ball is snapped, then we move on to other things.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 04, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBullock View Post
I agree that in certain situations, as you say it's legal to block below the waist. This play is border line, as other also stated, as to being legal. My question was, did anyone on the crew see it. It's probably a pass but definetly a talk-to with be player/coach. It's also a great play to discuss (as we are doing here) both from a rules and mechanics situation.

Looks like you guys had a great game & had it covered.
Why a talk-to on a legal block? The ball isn't close to being out of the FBZ. Legal block.