Thread: Umpire to Be
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Heres some tips.

I'm glad you are going to work at umpire. Its a great position because you will have more player interaction which is rewarding.

Its true that you will be working mainly between the hashmarks but don't worry about that. A Pac-10 umpire (retired) told me last year that often times you will have to drift out into the side zones to maintain player control or get into a better position to retrieve the ball after the play. Its true that a good BJ will be the ball hawk after the play. I hope you have a good BJ and R who will help relay the ball to you. Then you can get to the hash and mirror the forward progress spot of the HL and LJ so when you get the ball you just have to place it at your feet.

I like to use two down markers on my hands. One is for keeping track of the down, the other is for ball position at the snap. When you face the referee, left pinky is left hash, ring finger is left upright, middle finger is middle of field, fore finger is right upright, thumb is right hash. For example, after an incomplete pass or to enforce a penalty simultaneous with the snap, you need to know the ball position at the time of the snap.

Next, develop a mental check list for what to do during dead ball and live ball. I posted a mental check list for umpires a few weeks ago on this site so go check it out and also all the replies.

Once I move off the ball at the ready for play I try to position myself right behind the linebackers about 6 yards off the line, between the offensive center and tackle. It depends on the defense. You want to be able to observe the ball at all times prior to the snap.

I watch the snapper to make sure the snap is legal. Then I watch the initial block of the far offensive tackle to read run or pass. If run I try to pick up the point of attack and observe the blocks and action around the runner (sometimes the defense can foul by clipping the blocker or head slapping the blocker). If pass I get up to the line and observe action in front of me. Then I turn after the pass is thrown to look for ineligibles and assist with low passes near the ground.

You can have fun at umpire position and a lot of guys don't like to work there because you are in the power running zones. But if you see a 220 lb. full back coming through the hole straight at you don't panic. Try to either hold your ground (similar to a matador and a bull) or shuffle one or two steps quickly to the front and side and then hold your ground. The key is to protect yourself and continue to observe the action around the ball. Don't try to move around too much because then the players will zig when you zag but its when both of you zag that you become part of the turf.

I like to think of umpires as our own special club within the officiating community. Welcome to the club!