The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Coaches in our section of the state two years ago decided to use the overtime procedure in order to assure there were no more tie games.

Does anyone else use the overtime procedure in the regular season?
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Because Texas is under NCAA rules, we use the NCAA overtime procedure. I think the only time there is a tie is if the referee calls the game after four periods with the score tied and it can't be resumed (NCAA 3-3-3-d).
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Ed,
We use it here in Section 1 in NY. They decided about 5 years ago to make it easier to set up the playoffs for the state tournament. I know you don't go from LI. We use the 20 yard OT proceedure. It's the same as the 10 yd. but you can get a first down.

Steve
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
Because Texas is under NCAA rules, we use the NCAA overtime procedure. I think the only time there is a tie is if the referee calls the game after four periods with the score tied and it can't be resumed (NCAA 3-3-3-d).
Why would the Referee do this?
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have no earthly idea, but I was studying rules last night and saw that one. I am guessing that the game would be in overtime and either weather or some other major event would cause the game to be called with the score still tied.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

In NC, we use the standard 10 yard OT procedure in conference games. In non-conference games, the coaches must agree prior to the game that they will play OT. If either doesn't want OT, then we don't play.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Over here in the Maui Interscholastic League, we do not use the overtime rules for preseason and regular season games unless the game is for the first round, second round, or league championship. Then we follow the NFHS 10 yard overtime procedures found in the rule book.

Our state association uses the normal NFHS overtime procedures for the state football championship tournament (8 teams, single elimination, over 3 weekends) except that play starts from the 20 yard line.

I would like to express my opinion and get feedback from everyone. I'd like to see a modified sudden death type of overtime procedure where you have the normal coin toss and free kick and rules applied. Play continues until one team scores and other team can't match the score on their following possession. Do other officials think this could be done or would it make the games too long?
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

In Illinois and Indiana...

...the standard NFHS 10-yard OT rules prevail during the regular season for the same reasons your state is initiating the use.

We also don't let the games end, unless one team forfeits or the game is called due to some extreme situation - usually to do with safety. A few years ago, lightening storms rolled trhough the area. We just waited until they subsided and the lightening detectors gave us the "all-clear" (2 hours later!).
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Coaches in our section of the state two years ago decided to use the overtime procedure in order to assure there were no more tie games.

Ed, what part/section of NY State do you work in?? This of course is my assumption that you do work football in NY.

We've be using an OT procedure in NY state since 1990. It started off with the NFHS suggested 10 yard version but it was changed to a 20 yard version about two, maybe three years ago.
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Arkansas uses the FED 10 yard procedure and has been for at least 10 years.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sun Jun 23, 2002, 12:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

We use a regular season OT procedure here in our OV (Ontario Varsity) league.

Coin toss called by the home team. They can choose offense, defense or an end. Teams take turns from the same 35. Each team shall be granted the same number of offensive series'. A score by the defense ends the game. Most points in your possession wins the game.

..Mike
Old Sun Jul 07, 2002, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

Ed, what part/section of NY State do you work in?? This of course is my assumption that you do work football in NY.

We've be using an OT procedure in NY state since 1990. It started off with the NFHS suggested 10 yard version but it was changed to a 20 yard version about two, maybe three years ago.
I work section 11, Suffolk County, Long Island.

We started the 20-yard OT procedure four seasons ago in response to the problem of determining placement using power rating system when a tie occurs.

Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Overtime

Ed,

In NJ, we use Federation rules for HS ball. However, as allowed by NF rules, our state association adopted their own regular season OT procedure some years back. The one they adopted currently has the following features which distinguish it from the standard NFHS system: 1st and 10 from B's 25 yd. line, change of possession can result in a score and end the game, etc.). As far as I can determine it is exactly the same as the NCAA procedure.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia we play off all games when the two schools are of the same classification.
We use a somewhat outdated system of playing 2 five minute halves. It is quite interesting but usually ends up with a team winning by penetration and that is a big loser for the fans and players.
I have had many of these over the years.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

South Dakota has used the NF overtime procedure (exactly by the book) at least since the 1984 season (as a senior I was involved in one). We started a playoff system in the 1981 season (Graduating Class of 1982) so that may have been why SD has always used it since I can remember.