Thread: Umpire to Be
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes1977
3rd year official here. I've worked mainly on the wings, and decided to tell my assigner that I'd like to work some Umpire this year, as I think it will help me understand the game better, as well as make me more available. In a nutshell, I'm looking for ANY and ALL points, tips, tricks, etc...related to the U postion. I think my biggest question at the moment deals with getting the ball from the side zones. I'm staying between the hash marks at all times correct? Is there ever a time when I'd go beyond, retrieve a relay pass, and walk back to the hash? Things like that I'm not sure about. I think the little things are what make the difference, and that's the info I'd appreciate. Thanks!
Umpire is the key member of an officiating crew. As a referee I look to my umpire to let me know the result of the last play. Referees have the worst spot on the field for seeing anything past the line of scrimmage. The umpire on every play should let the ref know what happened.

The umpire also serves as the central person to keep the game moving. On a penalty the umpire summons the captain of the offended team to go to the referee.

The umpire walks off the penalties.

The umpire counts the offense and keeps track of the legality of the offensive line.

And, on EVERY play yells out the down to all the other officials.

It is a great spot to really learn and be in the game.