The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

College replay rules/ requirements

can someone tell me what the rules are for overturning/upholding a call on the field in college. A few weeks ago I saw some calls in the Iowa- Indiana game that went to replay and the replay decisions were strange at best. Same goes for the Illinois- fresno st. game today. 2 point try by Fresno has a pass hit the receiver then the ball is knocked out of the receiver's hands by the defender , the ball caroms backwards and a Fresno lineman catches it and proceeds into the endzone. call on field is that the defender hit the ball thus making reception by lineman legit. It went to replay and as far as I could see the ball clearly hit the receiver first, then the defender then the lineman, making, according to the announcers, a no catch. Replay confirmed call on the field. Does replay guy have some sort of parameter he has to follow to overturn call on field? Are replay guys officials?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Important lesson - TV analysts are idiots when it comes to the rules. Don't believe anything they say.

In short, the announcers were wrong. It makes no difference who touched the pass first. Once the defender touches the ball, any player is eligible.

As for replay officials, most, if not all, are veteran officials who are retired from active officiating on the field.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
It went to replay and as far as I could see the ball clearly hit the receiver first, then the defender then the lineman, making, according to the announcers, a no catch. Replay confirmed call on the field.
Maybe you shouldn't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about so much.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
As for replay officials, most, if not all, are veteran officials who are retired from active officiating on the field.
Many of them are the technical advisers for the staffs of those conferences. In other words, they are the ones that evaluate and rate the officials.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
can someone tell me what the rules are for Replay confirmed call on the field. Does replay guy have some sort of parameter he has to follow to overturn call on field? Are replay guys officials?
Chas, if you go through life questioning why an auto dealer replaced a part, based on what your buddy told you a friend told him about auto parts, or questioning your dentist why he drilled your teeth, based on what a neighbor told you happened to him 20 years ago in a different State, you're going to be causing yourself a lot of unnecessary frustration and needless worry.

Write this down, better yet, get a sharp knfe and carve this into your good arm, "Most, if not all, TV football announcers know absolutely nothing about football rules, especially the ones that played the game". After your arm heals, you'll be much happier for the rst of your life.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Chas, if you go through life questioning why an auto dealer replaced a part, based on what your buddy told you a friend told him about auto parts, or questioning your dentist why he drilled your teeth, based on what a neighbor told you happened to him 20 years ago in a different State, you're going to be causing yourself a lot of unnecessary frustration and needless worry.

Write this down, better yet, get a sharp knfe and carve this into your good arm, "Most, if not all, TV football announcers know absolutely nothing about football rules, especially the ones that played the game". After your arm heals, you'll be much happier for the rst of your life.
That has got to be one of the stupidest posts I have ever read and Alf, in your failed attempt to be clever, you failed miserably to answer the questions!
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
That has got to be one of the stupidest posts I have ever read and Alf, in your failed attempt to be clever, you failed miserably to answer the questions!
The question had already been answered, Jaybird, sorry my response failed to meet your literary standards. I must have missed the announcement that you were appointed resident critic.

Perhaps you'd answer a different question. Why, on earth, would you imagine your impression mattered to me, about anything?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why, on earth, would you imagine your impression mattered to me, about anything?
I never said or even thought about whether it mattered to you or not, but apparently it did carry some weight as you obviously considered it important enough to respond to. Either it mattered to you or it struck a nerve, prompting a guilty conscience to submit a weak rebuttal.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Settle down fellas! I'm 57 and I've watched countless sporting events. My wife bemoans the fact that she married me in March. I watched the Illini lose to Austin Peay whilst on our honeymoon back in 1985. I do know not to listen to various announcers, like a Billy Packer, but in this situation I couldn't figure out why they went to replay when it was obvious the O lineman went into the endzone. That's when I figured maybe they were looking at who touched the pass first, thinking that somehow an O lineman isn't eligible to touch no matter who touched the pass first.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Settle down fellas! I'm 57 and I've watched countless sporting events. My wife bemoans the fact that she married me in March. I watched the Illini lose to Austin Peay whilst on our honeymoon back in 1985. I do know not to listen to various announcers, like a Billy Packer, but in this situation I couldn't figure out why they went to replay when it was obvious the O lineman went into the endzone. That's when I figured maybe they were looking at who touched the pass first, thinking that somehow an O lineman isn't eligible to touch no matter who touched the pass first.
Because it was the play that decided the game. It was not as obvious as you think considering that the official did not immediately signal TD until he found the ball and it was the last play of the game. Of course they were going to review the play. BTW, they review every play in every game; they just do not stop the game or hold up the ending to do it. And this is why you do not listen to announcers; they have no idea why a review is being made. That becomes obvious when you listen to them and then see the actual ruling. I seriously doubt that they need to look long at who touched the ball. For one it was obvious, but they probably looked to see if the runner (OLman) was down or did not cross the goal line.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Officials just get upset that announcers 99% of the time are feeding the fans incorrect information and they take that information as being true so we end up getting the abuse by fans with false information. Now to the specific question you asked. Per rule, an original ineligible player becomes eligible only after the ball is touched by a Team B (defensive) player or an official. Imagine the QB passing the ball and it bounces off the umpire into Guard #56 for a catch and runs into the end zone. Legal play since the ball touching an officials makes everyone eligible to catch the pass.
Don't tell the coaches that cause I'm sure they may start creating some trick play by deflecting the ball off the umpire.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

chas, bottom line, if you believe what the officials tell you and not the TV announcers, you'll be far better off. Especially ignore the TV announcers when they try to quote rules that are contrary to what the officials rule on the field. Yes, officials will miss calls but not rules.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Don't tell the coaches that cause I'm sure they may start creating some trick play by deflecting the ball off the umpire.
Heck, I already recommend using the umpire as a pick to get open.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:42pm
Chain of Fools

My question, just from the clip I saw was, wouldn't he have been downfield before the pass crossed the LOS?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I just saw the post about this by TxMike on refstripes and he linked to a YouTube clip.

YouTube - Fresno State vs. Illinois 2009 2-point Conversion

Looks pretty clear on the slomo replay that the lineman was on about the 3yd line (2yd line at worst) when he gets the ball and he had been engaged in blocking a defender. I've got no Ineligible downfield.