The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

what do you think about the new changes???
1) what about the shot clock not being reset after a kicked ball if it's over 15 seconds and if it is under 15 seconds you only reset back to 15.... good thing or bad thing, what is the reasoning they had for this change???

2) 20 seconds to replace a disqualified player instead of 30 with a horn at 5 seconds left? is 20 enough time, what was the reasoning for this change?

3)point of emphasis is palming the ball?? isn't it every year and it's still not called

4)experimental rule, do we like the 3 point line moved back to 20' 9", little more challenging for the college kids.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
1) what about the shot clock not being reset after a kicked ball if it's over 15 seconds and if it is under 15 seconds you only reset back to 15.... good thing or bad thing, what is the reasoning they had for this change???

2) 20 seconds to replace a disqualified player instead of 30 with a horn at 5 seconds left? is 20 enough time, what was the reasoning for this change?

3)point of emphasis is palming the ball?? isn't it every year and it's still not called

4)experimental rule, do we like the 3 point line moved back to 20' 9", little more challenging for the college kids.
1) I think the reasoning was they felt the penalty of awarding a full reset of the shot clock was too harsh for the action involved. This would especially come into play at the end of the game.

2) I would think 20 sec. is still ample time. They were just trying to take away the extra time out teams were getting, instead of using that time to put in the sub.

3) That's why it's still a POE - because it's still not getting called.

4) At least in the upper levels, it might be a good idea to make the 3-pointer a little more challenging.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

1) I think the reasoning was they felt the penalty of awarding a full reset of the shot clock was too harsh for the action involved. This would especially come into play at the end of the game.

2) I would think 20 sec. is still ample time. They were just trying to take away the extra time out teams were getting, instead of using that time to put in the sub.

3) That's why it's still a POE - because it's still not getting called.

4) At least in the upper levels, it might be a good idea to make the 3-pointer a little more challenging.
What he said Although I would add one thing, and that is as far as moving the 3-point arc back, I think it's a good idea for all levels, not just D-I. Kids are getting stronger but keeping the fluid shot mechanics at the same time. Move it back and keep it there.

I do, however, disagree with the international lane. Keep the box.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think the new shot clock rule is good; it's very similar to the NBA rule. But I think it will be difficult for a lot of smaller schools to implement. Many scoreboards -- unless they've been purchased in the last 3 years or so -- can't reset to 2 different numbers. There's only one reset button. To reset it to a different number requires the timer to program it in manually, than program back the original 35 (or 30, for women). That's a hassle if it happens more than once or twice a game.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I think the new shot clock rule is good; it's very similar to the NBA rule. But I think it will be difficult for a lot of smaller schools to implement. Many scoreboards -- unless they've been purchased in the last 3 years or so -- can't reset to 2 different numbers. There's only one reset button. To reset it to a different number requires the timer to program it in manually, than program back the original 35 (or 30, for women). That's a hassle if it happens more than once or twice a game.
Hmmm, never thought of that. That will be a pain because of the related delays. I wonder if there are scoreboards that are more computer-based, that might just need a firmware upgrade? Or are most of the manual variety?

(Used with permission.)