The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Bean Bag

Does anyone know why NFL Officials bean bag an interception?

Under NHFS rules, I was taught that there is no reason to do this. I assume the NFL has different penalty enforcement procedures for certain fouls but I did know the specifics. Any ideas?

Last edited by john_faz; Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 11:28am.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS and NCAA there is no reason to bag an interception because it is not an enforcement spot. I am pretty sure that it can be an enforcement spot under their rules.

I think that it is a crazy scenario for it to be one but it is one none the less.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Believe the bean bag on an interception in the NFL is simply for statistical purposes. Also, you will see the drive start marker in NFL.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

No idea on the NFL reason, but it does remind me of a situation last week in a youth game.

B66 makes an interception. As he begins returing it, I see a beanbag come flying out to the spot of the interception, thrown by the referee. I was a little confused, but a few seconds later, I realized why he did it, and why I should have had a bean bag.

In our youth league, players must be below a certain weight to be legal ball carriers. This is represented by a helmet sticker. If he did not have a sticker, we would have come back to the spot where he gained possession. Most of the time, it's obvious the kid is a legal runner, but this was a pretty good sized boy.

Fortunately, he was legal.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Under most NCAA mechanics, we do bean bag an interception inside the 5 yard line for the momentum rule. Could this have been what happened in the NFL game referenced?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

I found this in the NFL Rulebook under Safety

11-5-1 Exception (c)

If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a foul in the field of play, and the ball becomes dead in the end zone, the basic spot is the spot of the change of possession.

That being said, a lot of messed up things would have to happen for a ball to be picked-off at the 50 to become dead in the intercepting team's end zone and have a foul on the same play
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm fairly certain I saw this in the PIT/SD game last year. If there are offsetting fouls after the interception, the ball is brought back to the spot of the interception. I'm not positive though.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I get annoyed at unnecessary bean bags...but not as annoyed as I get at necessary but absent bean bags.

I worked with a top ranked crew this year for one game, they've done state championships 2 of the last 5 years. I was HL, interception in the flat 5 yards in front of me and the BJ threw a bean bag 40 yards to spot the interception, I asked him why, and he said, "Because thats what they (pointing towards the bleachers) expect to see."

I still don't bag interceptions, or fumbles behind the LOS. I only bag spots we might need, which include end of kick and backward passes beyond the LOS. (it might confuse fans when I throw a bean bag on a hook-and-ladder play, but if we need an end of run spot for that play, we've got it.)
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Pittsburg-Denver on the Pit fumble Referee Don Carey bagged the spot where possession was gained that was different from the spot where possession was lost.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

The bean bag is an enforcement spot for penalties after the interception.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I get annoyed at unnecessary bean bags...but not as annoyed as I get at necessary but absent bean bags.

I worked with a top ranked crew this year for one game, they've done state championships 2 of the last 5 years. I was HL, interception in the flat 5 yards in front of me and the BJ threw a bean bag 40 yards to spot the interception, I asked him why, and he said, "Because thats what they (pointing towards the bleachers) expect to see."

I still don't bag interceptions, or fumbles behind the LOS.
I never bean bag fumbles obviously behind the line. Almost always, I think to myself, "I should bean bag those just to be in the habit for when the fumble isn't behind the line." But I never do. But, I don't miss bean bags in other situations. So, I guess I don't need the practice, after all.

I'm sure it's going to hurt perception of me in my association. But I can't seem to make myself do it. Once, I had K recover a scrimmage kick touched by R. No bean bag, obviously. The white hat told me I should throw one there. I said we didn't need it as an enforcement spot. He said, "No, but it lets everyone know that R touched that ball." Later in the game, the same situation occurred. K had recovered the ball before I remembered to get out my bean bag.

Quote:
I only bag spots we might need, which include end of kick and backward passes beyond the LOS. (it might confuse fans when I throw a bean bag on a hook-and-ladder play, but if we need an end of run spot for that play, we've got it.)
What would you do on a play like Cal-Stanford or Trinity-Millsaps? Bean bag, bean bag, hat, then...?
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullycon View Post
What would you do on a play like Cal-Stanford or Trinity-Millsaps? Bean bag, bean bag, hat, then...?
We had a play like that this year and I think we had a couple bean bags down but we definitely didn't get all the fumbles or backward passes (there were probably 6 or 7 on the play). The ball was loose for such a short period of time that it's not likely a foul occurred precisely when the ball was no in a player's possession. If there was a flag, I would assume it took place behind the basic spot and enforce it from the spot of the foul. They are such screwy plays that anything you do will come out screwy. Bag them all if you can but there are many other things to worry about in my opinion (especially since I've now experienced one that got screwy).
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Loose change, condom, car keys, belt, in that order.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Finger whistle, neck whistle, left shoe, right shoe, left sock, right sock, shirt, pants ...

Last edited by VALJ; Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 01:45pm.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

The very first scrimmage I worked as a back judge, we had an interception. I threw my bean bag and hit the spot perfectly from about 20 yards away, and followed the play like I should. I was really proud that I knew what to do, until the veteran BJ asked me why I threw the bean bag and told me we don't need to do that down at this level..